Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 PM
irrig8r irrig8r is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 4,543
New "Ace" style connectors from Vista?

Sounds like maybe they make them in house....

Anyone see list pricing yet?

http://www.vistapro.com/Files/news/V..._BSC_10.09.pdf
__________________
Landscaper. Irrigator. Illuminator. Music lover. Coffee drinker.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Pro-Scapes's Avatar
Pro-Scapes Pro-Scapes is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 4,224
ever since I had problems getting them from Nightscaping I got them from Gambino. I took 2 cases from Mike then the ones I ordered from Nightscaping 6 weeks previous showed up. Im about out now so need to get some more from Mike real soon.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2009, 01:58 PM
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting's Avatar
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,863
Will be interesting to see their pricing on this line and if it is competitive with the likes of the NS ACE, Lighting Shrink.com, etc.
__________________
James Solecki
INTEGRA ~ Bespoke Lighting Systems ®
JSLDesign Inc.


www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2009, 03:29 PM
irrig8r irrig8r is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 4,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
ever since I had problems getting them from Nightscaping I got them from Gambino. I took 2 cases from Mike then the ones I ordered from Nightscaping 6 weeks previous showed up. Im about out now so need to get some more from Mike real soon.
So, how do MG's compare Billy? Same? Better?

And aren't you interested in seeing what Vista will be charging?
__________________
Landscaper. Irrigator. Illuminator. Music lover. Coffee drinker.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Lite4's Avatar
Lite4 Lite4 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,870
Yup, looks like an Ace. Will have to see the pricing. I started sampling with the Northstar DBY connectors on some installs. They are definitely faster, although I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling in the pit of my tummy when I walk away either though.
__________________


Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Pro-Scapes's Avatar
Pro-Scapes Pro-Scapes is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 4,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly Prof. Lighting View Post
Yup, looks like an Ace. Will have to see the pricing. I started sampling with the Northstar DBY connectors on some installs. They are definitely faster, although I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling in the pit of my tummy when I walk away either though.
Are you using the crimp rings with the northstar tubes ? I never liked the crimps. Alot of guys out there and I have used em but anytime I used the northstar tubes I always preffered to solder. Still faster than an inline connector.

I have also found melted connections with the crimps (not done by me) which I attribute to installer error.

Of course I would be interested in seeing the price on the Vista connector. Im sure Mike would too as there is probably little to no profit in the sale of just the connector. Mikes connector is similar to an Ace but it has stainless set screws vs the brass. Both do the job they are intended for and do it well. My NS dist was always a pita to deal with and low and behold they no longer carry the brand.

I thought the Ace was patented ? The vista looks so similar.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 PM
irrig8r irrig8r is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 4,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
Are you using the crimp rings with the northstar tubes ? I never liked the crimps. Alot of guys out there and I have used em but anytime I used the northstar tubes I always preffered to solder. Still faster than an inline connector.

I have also found melted connections with the crimps (not done by me) which I attribute to installer error.

Of course I would be interested in seeing the price on the Vista connector. Im sure Mike would too as there is probably little to no profit in the sale of just the connector. Mikes connector is similar to an Ace but it has stainless set screws vs the brass. Both do the job they are intended for and do it well. My NS dist was always a pita to deal with and low and behold they no longer carry the brand.

I thought the Ace was patented ? The vista looks so similar.
It does look very similar. Having not seen them in person yet I can't tell how close they really are...

My distributor tells me NS prices for theirs went up a lot on 7/1.
I bought all he had at the time back in March and haven't run out yet.

Suggested List Prices as of July 1, 2009 (compared to January 1, 2008):

ACE CONNECTOR
1525-DB 7.00 was 5.50 (in Jan '08)
1525-10DB 70.00 was 55.00
1525-25DB 150.00 was 120.00


DUAL ACE CONNECTOR
1538-DB 9.00 was 8.00
1538-15DB 125.00 was 112.00


QUARTER ACE CONNECTOR
1515-DB 6.00 was 4.50
1515-25DB 135.00 was 98.00

Remember, these are publicly available list prices. Not going to share my discount rate, if any.
__________________
Landscaper. Irrigator. Illuminator. Music lover. Coffee drinker.

Last edited by irrig8r; 11-05-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Terradek Terradek is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN 55441
Posts: 105
New "Ace" connector

Not only is Vista jumping on the "Ace" bandwagon but King Innovation has just announced its own version of the "Ace". I don't know pricing for Vista since I do not carry Vista but I can tell you that King will be less than NS. The King unit will be available shortly, keep an eye out for our 2010 Buyer's Guide for its introduction.
__________________
Gerry De La Vega
Terradek Lighting Inc.
AOLP Board Member
CLVLT #0404
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Lite4's Avatar
Lite4 Lite4 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,870
I find it interesting how the manufacturers are now seeing the need to move to a better connector. At least they are catching up finally.

Billy, I am simply double crimping my connections. Have never had a problem yet with a loose connections shorting and causing heat issues.
__________________


Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2009, 07:50 PM
irrig8r irrig8r is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 4,543
I can't figure out how King can call theirs "Ace"... can you?

http://www.kinginnovation.com/produc...ace-connector/
__________________
Landscaper. Irrigator. Illuminator. Music lover. Coffee drinker.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Page generated in 0.10815 seconds with 7 queries