Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-06-2009, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fixtures in gutters

I was driving past a house the other night that someone lit. Very nice job but the thing I saw interesting, although I went past it at 20 miles per hour, is what looked like Stellars at the gutter, lighting the dormers. I realize that you can use a mount (Stratomount I think) but anyone who has done this, would you run wiring in the gutter? More importantly would the splices sit in the gutter?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby,

This is actually a very common design application these days. We actually make a specific bracket for mounting gutters and although it is commonly referred to as a "Gutter bracket" we actually call it the Uni-Bracket. The steller tends to be the fixture of choice but the Starburst, and multiple other bullet lights get used quite often depending on what it is your lighting. As for the connections, some do choose to put the connections in the gutter, I do reccomend that you try adn get the connections out of the gutter if at all possible and no matter where they go to grease them properly to protect them. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We run and chase in the gutters all the time. We will use adhesive lined, medium wall, heat shrink tube to completely water proof our connections in this application. I also try to attach the connection high on the back of the gutter to keep it out of the water.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, I will have to give that a shot of course I need to get all the oak leaves out of there first.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The uni bracket is very cheap too. Actually I think the price is lower this year then last year. Some times screwing them in can be a pain due to the angle of impact driver. But being able to install the bracket, then slip your fixture in is a pretty handy.

Over all The uni bracket is very affordable and great design.

Good going Unique
Old 11-12-2009, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I really like the idea. Does anyone have a picture of the end effect?
Old 11-13-2009, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

here is an example....I will look for more.....

Old 11-13-2009, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

To state the obvious, as always your pictures and work look amazing! This looks like a great way to bring the eyes up and really get the full impact of a home’s architecture. I am in the replanning stage for my home and found this site. It’s a good thing to, the guy I had originally lined up to do the small lighting job turned out to be a hack! He was going to put 295W on a straight line splicing at each fixture for a run of 145ish feet. He told me it would be ok because the “box has several different spot to plug in”. So now I am stuck doing it myself. I spoke to a few other “prose” and they would not do the job unless I bought the equipment from them. Even though it’s the same as they are recommending down to the model number. Oops I will put away the soap box now. Thanks again for the grate pic!
Old 11-13-2009, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

lighting the roof line or second story dormers of a home always makes the home look larger and brings in a height element otherwise never seen in the evening.

Most pros will require you to buy the products from them and if they are a good pro that would be not only a smart thing for them to do as buisness men and designers but it should also be something you accept trusting that they are the experts. Depending on where you live we could reccomend a few lighting pros in your area.

Good luck with your project!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I understand your point fully. However, I would think it would make better business since especially in this market to take the job with a boost in my labor or other cost to cover what I did not make on selling the fixture. I even recommended he charge me to make up for the difference. My problem is that I now own the fixtures and transformer as I bout them from guy (contractor) who was supposed to do the job in the first place. The local lighting supply store where they were purchase will not take them back from me because I did not buy them from them. Although they admit the materials came from their store and they have my address from the order. It just a bad situation, that’s all.

Thanks for you input again you do beautiful work. I just wish I had called you not the clown I did!

PS The clown seemed very professional to start even pointed me to some very nice lighting jobs as references. Funny thing though I now know they weren’t his work.