Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-27-2009, 11:08 PM
DLAWNS's Avatar
DLAWNS DLAWNS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ocean County,New Jersey
Posts: 5,776
Gas meters

I wanted to share a story with everyone as well as share some info. Last Friday, we were cutting all day. After the day was over I get a call from my wife that one of my best customers called and said that we hit their gas meter and that there was a gas leak, but it was already fixed. Luckily right after we left, their irrigation company came by to blow out their lines for the year and they smelled gas and told the customer. As soon as my wife called me I stopped by their house to talk with them. They weren't home so I left a message. When they called back we discussed it and they were not mad, and just wanted to make me aware of it. I apologized over and over and asked to reimburse them for any fees from the gas company might have charged. They said that there were no charges so I offered to put in a mulch bed for free around the meter so it could be out of the way, which they accepted.

I wanted to let everyone know that the gas guy told her that on the gas meters there is a piece of pvc like material on the bottom that is a dark color and looks like metal. They said it could be broken by a weed whacker if hit enough. I'm not sure if they are all like this but I know they are at least in my area. Just an FYI for everyone.

The end of the story is that I had to fire my worker today. This was the final straw. He has been doing subpar work for the last couple months, is moving extra slow, and has had an attitude problem if God forbid I ask him to do something a bit differently than he likes to do it. The icing on the cake was the gas meter. The meter was turned almost 90 degrees from it's original position. He was using an Exmark Navigator and if you turn and hit something you surely know it. Plus when we were blowing off the property at the end of the cut he walked that way to blow off a patio. There is no way he couldn't have known he did it and he didn't tell me about it. I always tell my guys that I do not even care if they break stuff, because we're human and sh*t happens, but just tell me if something gets broken. He was a replacement for my right hand man who is currently over in Iraq and wasn't the best worker ever but he was doing enough to keep his job.

Sorry for the long post, I just needed o vent about this situation a bit and warn everyone about the gas meter.
__________________
Bill Depierro
Depierro Lawns Inc.
29 years old
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-27-2009, 11:10 PM
topsites topsites is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 21,677
Yes!

The string of a trimmer will eat through that PVC plastic like a hot knife through soft butter.

Those irrigation pipes, too.
Just barely touch it and it will leak, water, gas, whatever's in it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-27-2009, 11:17 PM
DLAWNS's Avatar
DLAWNS DLAWNS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ocean County,New Jersey
Posts: 5,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Yes!

The string of a trimmer will eat through that PVC plastic like a hot knife through soft butter.

Those irrigation pipes, too.
Just barely touch it and it will leak, water, gas, whatever's in it.
To be completely honest, I never knew there was any pvc on a gas meter...that's the only good thing that came out of this situation.
__________________
Bill Depierro
Depierro Lawns Inc.
29 years old
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 PM
THC THC is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,020
Our gas lines are all steel.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2009, 11:23 PM
balreadysaid balreadysaid is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: newengland
Posts: 427
i know right i probly chopped a bunch of those up ! lol
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-2009, 11:24 PM
DLAWNS's Avatar
DLAWNS DLAWNS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ocean County,New Jersey
Posts: 5,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Our gas lines are all steel.
Are you sure on the bottom of the pipe on the gas meter that it's not PVC? It's a really small piece, I always thought it was steel too, but apparently that part is PVC (at least in my area)
__________________
Bill Depierro
Depierro Lawns Inc.
29 years old
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2009, 11:27 PM
THC THC is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
Are you sure on the bottom of the pipe on the gas meter that it's not PVC? It's a really small piece, I always thought it was steel too, but apparently that part is PVC (at least in my area)
I'll check but it was put in probably 40 years ago. I'm going to check for this at my customers houses also, the newer ones. That plastic pipe is becoming more and more common. Changing our water pipes for a remodel, out goes the copper in comes the plastic pipe. Putting electricity in the shed... plastic conduit.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-2009, 11:30 PM
DLAWNS's Avatar
DLAWNS DLAWNS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ocean County,New Jersey
Posts: 5,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I'll check but it was put in probably 40 years ago. I'm going to check for this at my customers houses also, the newer ones. That plastic pipe is becoming more and more common. Changing our water pipes for a remodel, out goes the copper in comes the plastic pipe. Putting electricity in the shed... plastic conduit.
Let me know what ya find, I'm curious.
__________________
Bill Depierro
Depierro Lawns Inc.
29 years old
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Hanau's Avatar
Hanau Hanau is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Quad Cities of ID & WA
Posts: 1,576
According to the IFGC (International Fuel Gas Code) all natural gas piping below grade has to be PVC, above grade it's steel. So you have a PVC pipe coming out of the ground connected to the steel pipe on the gas meter.

What happens is over time the grade changes and more of the PVC pipe that used to be below grade is exposed.

For my customers I recommend that we lay down road fabric, some plastic edging, and use river rock to fill in the area to prevent future damage. It looks nice and protects the pipe. Wood mulch needs to be changed out periodically, which is the perfect opportunity to smack the gas meter with a mini-ex.

We do fire features and outdoor kitchens so I'm familiar with the IFGC.
__________________
Bob

Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Once upon a time, there was a lonely oxygen atom. The oxygen atom met two little hydrogen atoms, and suggested they try a threesome. They did, and everybody got wet. The end.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-28-2009, 12:09 AM
DLAWNS's Avatar
DLAWNS DLAWNS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ocean County,New Jersey
Posts: 5,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanau View Post
According to the IFGC (International Fuel Gas Code) all natural gas piping below grade has to be PVC, above grade it's steel. So you have a PVC pipe coming out of the ground connected to the steel pipe on the gas meter.

What happens is over time the grade changes and more of the PVC pipe that used to be below grade is exposed.

For my customers I recommend that we lay down road fabric, some plastic edging, and use river rock to fill in the area to prevent future damage. It looks nice and protects the pipe. Wood mulch needs to be changed out periodically, which is the perfect opportunity to smack the gas meter with a mini-ex.

We do fire features and outdoor kitchens so I'm familiar with the IFGC.
Thanks for the info...I was curious why pvc was used.
__________________
Bill Depierro
Depierro Lawns Inc.
29 years old
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 PM.

Page generated in 0.10654 seconds with 10 queries