Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-07-2009, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jd ag. and commercial equpiment and ferris.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are aleady JD dealers in the area, in Clinton and Wallace. Bobcat is selling pretty good right now. Great machine, great price.

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 11-07-2009, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

KUBOTA, all of the small farms love the kubota smaller tractors and mowers. In canada near my uncles farm everyone either owns 1 or 2 kubota's
Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc0207 View Post
hustler 25 miles, gravely,dixie chopper 25 miles yard shark 10 miles everything else 50 miles we live in country land so most will be sold to farms and large properties
Hustler, Bad Boy and Bobcat will be your top three sellers, with Bad Boy and Bobcat running ahead of Hustler. Bad Boy and Bobcat are the mowers you don't need to take a second mortgage out to purchase and they will get the work done in a hurry. They are several very good mowers, it depends on what the people in your area care to spend. Ferris is going to give the best ride and the Scag Velocity Plus deck the best all around cut, but there will be a considerable difference in money. If you carried Scag, Ferris, Hustler, Bad Boy and Bobcat you would cover the entire buying spectrum.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I would consider first, what dealerships are even available to get. Second, I would select a product line that (popular or not) has good dealership benefits, service & training, and then sell that line based on its qualities. Service and an honest delership will make that brand and your dealership survive and most likely do very well with good business decisions behind it. We all seem to have our favorites for dif reasons, and many have had good and bad luck with many dif makes & models. I gotta say - see what dealership you can even get and start there... Just my thoughts. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know a big farmer that is 100% die-hard JD and nothing else. He and his whole family have run JD zero turn mowers since they came into existence. They buy new ones about every year, the 800 series came out and now they are all running Ferris IS 3100's with a 72" decks and 37 hp Kawasaki engines. I never thought I would see this happen, if you cut these people they bleed JD green; but now they are sold on the Ferris ride and mower.

Someone made the statement if it was a farmer he would want something with a steering wheel. That is as far from an accurate statement as you will ever read. I know many farmers along with myself and they all run the top end zero turn mowers, there wives love them as well, they want nothing to do with a steering wheel on a mower.

I have four neighbors that are not farmers but have more than a city lot to mow, one of them has a Hustler Super Z 25/60, a Bobcat 23/60 and a Toro Groundmaster diesel, 72" out front deck,(he has all those mowers and does not mow 1/10 of the grass I mow). There is another neighbor that has a 72" out front diesel Grasshopper, another has a rear discharge Hustler Super Z, and another just bought his second Hustler Super Z.

People in the lawn maintenance business think they buy the larger majority of commercial zero turn mowers, when in all reality they buy a small percentage. Homeowners with more than a city lot buy the largest percentage of commercial grade zero turn mowers. Basically anywhere I see people mowing grass in the rural areas of the county I live in; it is being done with with large zero turn mowers. My nephew is a NC Highway Patrolman and has a new home with about 1 1/2 acres of grass, his mother has a JD 797 that is like new but he wanted a Hustler Super Z so he bought a new one from my dealer. Many more homeowners buy commercial grade zero turn mowers than people in the business, because there are many more homeowners than people in the lawn maintenance business.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you have to ask here, and really do not know, then you probably should not even be thinking of getting into the lawn equipment business. I do not think this is the place to get sound advice for making a business decision llike this.
You should already know the current dealers in your area and the lines they carry. You should be checking with the manufacturers/distributors of lines not represented in your area to see what they have to offer, and what type of financial committment they want.
Are you sure you know what you are getting into? Are you sure you are ready for a business like this?
Owning a lawn equipment shop may sound great, but there is a lot more to it than you might expect. I know, I have owned one.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
If you have to ask here, and really do not know, then you probably should not even be thinking of getting into the lawn equipment business. I do not think this is the place to get sound advice for making a business decision llike this.
You should already know the current dealers in your area and the lines they carry. You should be checking with the manufacturers/distributors of lines not represented in your area to see what they have to offer, and what type of financial committment they want.
Are you sure you know what you are getting into? Are you sure you are ready for a business like this?
Owning a lawn equipment shop may sound great, but there is a lot more to it than you might expect. I know, I have owned one.

give the man a cigar for the best advice.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I posted on here because I see a large vast of people from diffrent backgrounds, I haved talked to all the companies all 57 of them. I was just wondering what kind of response I could get, I am leaning towards exmarks,country clipper, husg, and walker. My biggest problem has been I love two many: Scag cut, Ferris ride, Exmarks name, cc joystick, Bobcats price, Walker well its a Walker
Old 11-08-2009, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are starting a dealership you may want to look at Husqvarna. Then you can be a all in one dealer selling everything. Chainsaws, weedeaters, blowers, Zero Turns, Tractors ect ect. Plus I think if you are a Husqvarna dealer you can sell all the different brands like Dixon/Yazookee and Bluebird. Not 100 percent sure if that is correct but it seems that is what I heard in the last year or so.

Timo