Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
You can really lose your ass on these. Unless its all in writing, the price is right, and you need the work, stay away.
Agreed. Then ask yourself what image does this portray?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Commando View Post
Agreed. Then ask yourself what image does this portray?
Yeah, the neighbors will be clamoring to hire you when they see how nicely you trimmed the 8 foot high grass around the green pool with a collapsed liner. It screams desperation.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I know with some jobs there is always a risk getting our britches caught on a barb-wired fence...LOL!!!

The last few months, my hubby has enjoyed the work that is involved, and there is plenty of work to do. He takes plenty of pictures before/ after, traveled out of town (2 hours one way), changed locks, mowed, cleaned, etc., and has been complimented of the superb job he does. But it seems the owner /boss is not being up front on some things (gut feeling).

We need to be able to keep a roof over our head and make enough $ for bills.

We are seriously opened to your ideas-starting our own home business. We are tossing some ideas around too.

Thanks for your help...
Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonshines View Post
I know with some jobs there is always a risk getting our britches caught on a barb-wired fence...LOL!!!

The last few months, my hubby has enjoyed the work that is involved, and there is plenty of work to do. He takes plenty of pictures before/ after, traveled out of town (2 hours one way), changed locks, mowed, cleaned, etc., and has been complimented of the superb job he does. But it seems the owner /boss is not being up front on some things (gut feeling).

We need to be able to keep a roof over our head and make enough $ for bills.

We are seriously opened to your ideas-starting our own home business. We are tossing some ideas around too.

Thanks for your help...
Well. Obviously starting it as a side business for one. Don't take on this kind of work. Two hours travel time? Waste. You'll be doing this for free or worse. If you want to start a lawn business, make sure you know what you're doing. You have good equipment ect. Not a lawn tractor. Real equipment.

Advertise. Have insurance, especially for handyman work. Price respectfully against your competition, but stay competitive. Don't low ball, and don't charge too much.

There's a million posts on how to start a business, books, blogs, ect. You can't expect someone to tell you how. It's research. I worked in lawn care for almost 10 years for a company, did hundreds of hours of reading and research. If you're struggling for money, get second or third jobs for now. Save, put in the time researching and getting a plan together. Then act on it.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yeah, the neighbors will be clamoring to hire you when they see how nicely you trimmed the 8 foot high grass around the green pool with a collapsed liner. It screams desperation.
So true. You can find me around clear pools with nice girl views....lol
Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do empty or abandoned property everyday, have for 8 years. I contract with the city to keep the grass mowed and any heath violations.(Standing water, old tires, trash, downed limbs) The sad fact is I can not do much of any real property renovation at all. Cleanup and trash removal ok but no improvements. Banks and property management that many times get the notice that the city has contracted me to mow the grass and is billed for my work plus a fine. Many times the bank will only then come in and need a guy to go through the house change the locks, drain the pipes and if needed board up broken windows and doors to keep the looters out, post signs and notices in entryways. But here again they are limited in the amount of money they can spend on a foreclosure.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Well. Obviously starting it as a side business for one. Don't take on this kind of work. Two hours travel time? Waste. You'll be doing this for free or worse. If you want to start a lawn business, make sure you know what you're doing. You have good equipment ect. Not a lawn tractor. Real equipment.

Advertise. Have insurance, especially for handyman work. Price respectfully against your competition, but stay competitive. Don't low ball, and don't charge too much.

There's a million posts on how to start a business, books, blogs, ect. You can't expect someone to tell you how. It's research. I worked in lawn care for almost 10 years for a company, did hundreds of hours of reading and research. If you're struggling for money, get second or third jobs for now. Save, put in the time researching and getting a plan together. Then act on it.
Why would anyone waste their time doing all that when they can come on here and just ask a stranger to tell them how to do it?
Old 08-17-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

intial cuts the neighborhood loves you / may give you tequila whilst hiring you and bringing back beer ....

but you'll be turning down this work because you have too much work
Old 08-17-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I mow a few. Ting is they call me. Then they email work order. Half day later they call again....did you mow yet....I say no. Next day or so I'll get it done. 4 before and 4 after photos. I mow 3 of these properties....2 pay like clock work the other a month behind.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been doing this for 2 years. Never had an issue with pay, and it's high volume/steady work. There's another crew that does the trash outs and initial cuts. All mine are weekly cuts. It's brought me a lot of residential accounts as well. Mine are REO houses though, not abandoned eye sores.