Register free!

Old 11-08-2009, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oops.

My guys informed me that one our resturants which has rye grass was accidentally treated with dimension. The rye was put down in 1st week of october. Dimension 007 was done late October.

It has a good stand and so far doesn't show any sign of injury but I'm still concerned. There is also a pretty visible area that a little thin and now that the Bermuda is just beginning to go dormant, if I could I would put down more seed. Too late know.

I am wondering though, If I took a spike aerator and perforate it, I wonder if I'd get any seed to emerge. This also is to try and anticipate and injury that may still begin to show. We've had a lot of rain.

Any ideas. I know you can neutralize but thats a major job and this is a popular national restaurant.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You might try pre-germinating your seed in buckets or a wheelbarrow. Not sure what kind of soil you have there but I use a mix of 80% sand and 20% compost for this on soccer fields to repair divots. Golf courses do a similar thing on par-3 tees.

I use about a half pound of seed (but that is a rye-blue mix) for every 5-gallon pail. Keep the mix damp, turn it over from time to time. 4-5 days should do it. You can do this on the ground in a pile at your shop and haul it to your job site as needed. Keep the pile damp or covered. Doing this in conjunction with the spiking you mentioned should bring good results. A little extra water on the restaurant site meanwhile would help.

Other ideas may work, this is what I would do. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

okay thats good. The sand and compost mix keeps it fairly clean not too messy when you apply it. I like that.

It funny you mention golf course. A guy from john deere who has always helped me out isn't there anymore. He went to work at a golf course. I have been trying to get in touch with him but haven't yet. The guys now at JD had no ideas. I bet thats what chad would say to do.

thanks again.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A agree with Tony at Foreplay. Ryegrass is vigorous and has a seed much larger than crabgrass. It should survive the Dimension treatment.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
A agree with Tony at Foreplay.
Well, I am denying that we have ever discussed foreplay - but hey, we agree on most stuff...
Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

at least he didn't say foreskin
Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Down hill fast you guys, down hill fast.

We have seeded rye at the same time as a granular dimension app with no issues. I would imagine that after the time lapse you a speaking of, just scratching in the seed should suffice. As ForePLEASEkeepitclean suggested, topdressing if possible will erase all doubt.

Good luck.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The size of the seed would have little to do with how Dimension works. It is a root growth inhibitor.
It is disturbing that liscenced professionals, so-called, got their understanding pre-m, from the back of a Turfbuilder bag by Scotts.
I imagine the spikes are for puncturing the 'invisible barrier'.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.turf.msu.edu/crabgrass-control-in-home-lawns

"Preemergence herbicides work by inhibiting the growth of young seedlings. These products do not eliminate established plants and must be applied before germination begins. In Michigan, this is usually around April 15 but can be as late as May 1. Applications made very early in the spring have potential to break down before the end of the germination window and are, for the most part, not recommended. This is a particular problem in the three out of 10 years when late-season conditions are conducive for a second germination flush. Delaying preemergence applications in a very cool or dry spring would provide better seasonlong control because crabgrass germination is also delayed under these situations. Nearly all of the commercially available preemergence herbicides are very effective when applied properly."
Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The spikes are a good idea for establishing seed - period. A good stiff rake would work too.

You appear to go out of your way to use the "invisible barrier" term in as many threads as possible.

If you search on my name and:
invisible barrier: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
barrier: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

However, search on SmallAxe and:
invisible barrier: 10 results found
barrier: 33 results found

I have not used Scotts Turf Builder With Halts Crabgrass Preventer, or read the bag, or disclosed anything that would indicate to you or anyone else what my understanding of "pre-m" is.

You offered TPnTX no help, no ideas, no solultions. Why bother posting.