Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Stihl BR 400 problems..need help

I have recently purchased a Stihl BR 400 backpack blower and I have had nothing but trouble out of it. It will sometimes start, and I say sometimes because sometimes it will spit and sputter, then cut off and not start due to flooding. That is my first problem, my second problem happens after I get it started. It runs good for about five or ten minutes then it will start spitting and sputtering and all of a sudden cut off and it wont start back again.

I have emptied all of the gas out of the tank and replaced it with new mix, I have changed spark plugs, but it is still messing up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like the coil / ignition module could be bad.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

i would assume you bought this unit used since the 400 has been gone for a while . I would look at the carb, you may have a leaking needle valve. Also i have seen the welch plugs come loose and prevent the needle from closing.If your carb is good then i would lean to the coil/module .
one other note the br 400,420,380,320 were and are known for flooding trying to start them. The procedure should be as follows for starting: when cold set choke turn the kill switch on , pull the recoil "3" times if the unit did not start or bark turn the choke off!!!!, continue to pull the recoil until the unit starts. If the recoil is pulled any more then 3 times with the choke on IT WILL FLOOD. If it does flood, remove the spark plug and dry or replace with a dry plug,make sure the choke is off,pull the the throttle trigger to full throttle and lock with the thumb lock. Now pull the recoil until it starts it may take 5 to 15 pulls but it will start.DO NOT PUT THE CHOKE BACK ON.Once the unit is warm or hot you should not need the choke at all.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate your feedback. I still can't seem to find the problem with the blower. I changed the gas again and checked for leaks in the fuel line. I thought that the fuel filter might be clogged, but I can't find a filter in the gas tank. I'm not real familiar with Stihl blowers. (I've always used Redmax). The fuel line goes into the gas tank, but i'm not sure how to replace the filter or if there is one in my tank. Do you think that could be the reason my blower all of a sudden cuts off after several minutes worth of use?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
It sounds like the coil / ignition module could be bad.
Would I be able to tell if the coil is bad by just looking at it? I took it off and cleaned it up, but i'm not sure how I could tell if it is bad. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

not really any to see if its bad other then doing a spark test with it on the unit. You say you took it off when you reinstalled it did you set the air gap between the coil and the fly wheel? if not get a business card put it between the coil and the fly wheel, loosen the bolts that hold the coil and turn the flywheel until the coil draws to the magnets,tighten the bolts and remove the card. unless you have a spark tester its kind of hard to see what the spark is doing during the run of the unit .
but what you need to do is isolate the coil from the kill circuit to do this simply unplug the wire connections at the coil that go to the kill circuit. Now you have taken the kill switch out of the loop. start the unit if it remains running then you have either bad wiring or kill switch. if it shuts down then you need to go deeper and this is where you should have a spark tester. you need to start the unit with the spark tester connected to the coil and the plug and watch the light to see what happens to the spark when it shuts down, if it goes out and shuts right off get a new coil if it stays lit but shuts down then you have another issue such as fuel etc. I think the coil for the 400 runs about 35.00 or so.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When it shuts off is it flooding? OR does it quit firing. Use spark tester after unit shuts off to check fire. Again if its old like already been suggested it could also be carb related. Sounds like you may just need to leave this one to the pro's. Unless you can provide us with more info.

If not take it to your closest dealer.

Derek's (Me) Personal Equipment

STIHL MS230 C-BE ON WISH LIST!
STIHL HS 45 18" (2008)
STIHL FS 80R (2001)
STIHL SH 86 (2009)
STIHL MM 55 YARD BOSS (2008)
YARD BOSS EQUIPPED W/
EDGER ATTACHMENT/AERATOR/WEIGHT KIT/TILLER
HONDA HRR216VKA (2008)
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
Better Built 6x12 Trailer
Old 11-17-2009, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

It does not cut off due to flooding. It cuts off suddenly in the middle of use (full throttle). Maybe you are right about the keeping it to the pros.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2009, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Same thing here's what I tried....

I'm having the exact problem only mine will not start @ all. I've changed the fuel, plug, air filter, spark arrestor screen, put a carb rebuild kit. I'm going tomorrow to get a fuel filter (which by the way is in the lowest part of the tank right?) I did a compression check and its @ 100+ Then I poured 1/2 teaspoon of oil and got a higher reading probably around 150+/- Does that mean new rings and base gasket? I saw in a older thread to wedge a nickel in the gap of an old plug to look for spark? Can a coil go bad and still have a small amount of spark? Does a coil go bad slowly or stop all @ once? Crap this thing is killing me I've got alot of work tomorrow and only 1 blower...Any help much appreciated!! Also wouldn't it run w/only 100+ of compression?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It would run with just 80psi compression. You only need between 75-90psi for combustion to occur. Heres a quick test. Check plug and make sure it is dry. Then remove air filter, and with a spray bottle spray a small amount of gas directly into the carb. Without choking see if unit will attempt to start. If so you still have carburetor problems and need to take it to a professional. If it does not attempt to start. Remove plug and connect to coil while making contact on the engine block and see if you have a good blue spark. If so well take it to a shop I don't think there's much more I can help you with without having the machine in front of me. If not then you may have a coil problem. DON'T put any more oil in the cylinder head. Be sure to clean that crap out before performing these test.

Derek's (Me) Personal Equipment

STIHL MS230 C-BE ON WISH LIST!
STIHL HS 45 18" (2008)
STIHL FS 80R (2001)
STIHL SH 86 (2009)
STIHL MM 55 YARD BOSS (2008)
YARD BOSS EQUIPPED W/
EDGER ATTACHMENT/AERATOR/WEIGHT KIT/TILLER
HONDA HRR216VKA (2008)
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
Better Built 6x12 Trailer

Tags