Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2009, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I got one running

I got one running. I then changed the carb from the running unit to the non and no luck. Then just to see I put the non running carb on the good unit and it runs fine. So I guess its the coil? It has really good spark or so it seems. I performed the test you advised for the and it seems to have strong spark and 100+ on compression check. Maybe fuel filter? Crap......Taking it to the shop is NOT an option for me......
Old 11-18-2009, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=mow crew;3282645] Can a coil go bad and still have a small amount of spark? Does a coil go bad slowly or stop all @ once? QUOTE]

yes you can have weak spark . a coil can god bad all at once,you could have one where you can run the machine for 20 minutes an will die and start right back up and die again.You also can have a problem in the kill circuit,short in the wiring,bad switch. You can loose spark if the plug is not gaped correctly on either the wsr6f or the bpmr7a the gap is .020",you can have a bad ignition lead,boot or spring .

100 psi is more then enough for this unit to run , when you try to start this unit is the plug getting wet ? you may not be getting fuel you could have a pinched line in the tank or bad filter/pickup,or bad fuel lines.Also check to make sure you dont have any water in the fuel tank as this will make it not start or run.

Last edited by rotti1968; 11-18-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennstripeking View Post
It does not cut off due to flooding. It cuts off suddenly in the middle of use (full throttle). Maybe you are right about the keeping it to the pros.

Thanks
i would go with a coil....
Old 11-19-2009, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mow crew View Post
I got one running. I then changed the carb from the running unit to the non and no luck. Then just to see I put the non running carb on the good unit and it runs fine. So I guess its the coil? It has really good spark or so it seems. I performed the test you advised for the and it seems to have strong spark and 100+ on compression check. Maybe fuel filter? Crap......Taking it to the shop is NOT an option for me......
Well if this is the case. You need to perform a pressue and leak down test, which I assume you don't have the proper tools to do. Can't help you from here. But please don't assume its the coil from the others up here. You may just start wasting money on a unit that is no good anyway. If your getting fuel, fire, and compression. Well unless it has a leaking seal it should run.

Derek's (Me) Personal Equipment

STIHL MS230 C-BE ON WISH LIST!
STIHL HS 45 18" (2008)
STIHL FS 80R (2001)
STIHL SH 86 (2009)
STIHL MM 55 YARD BOSS (2008)
YARD BOSS EQUIPPED W/
EDGER ATTACHMENT/AERATOR/WEIGHT KIT/TILLER
HONDA HRR216VKA (2008)
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
Better Built 6x12 Trailer
Old 01-07-2010, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi tennstripeking,

Did you have any luck fixing the BR400 as I have one with the same problem, it runs fine for about three minutes then dies as if it's run short of fuel, I've changed the Air Filter, Spark Plug, stripped and cleaned the carb and blown out the fuel filter but all this has made no difference. I am now strongly suspecting the coil but like most people I'm hesitant to spend money without being certain.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

pull the engine cover off, is there oily residue around the carb, residue around the cylinder gasket? if so u have compression probs. buy new gaskets for everything, pull the cylinder off and check its condition and take some sandpaper to clean the top of the piston. r the rings free or stuck....coils generally last a long time. Ive only had 1 go bad in 22 years....just went thru this with a few blowers and they all now run awesome. One reason i dont buy stihl, their replacement parts r $$$$$ and their equipment doesn't last any longer then anyone elses. if u cant get the gaskets right awy u can use the stihl oem sealant called dirko ht, or yamabond 4, or three bond 1194....if u pull the recoil and c a large amount of oil there u could have an oil seal leak, cheap and easy to replace. If the inner oil seal is leaking though it will be a time consuming repair but also very easy.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

BR400 troubles another perspective

I had a couple of BR400 blowers which gave me trouble after they had some age. Your problem could be due to a leaking crankshaft seal. If I remember correctly, there is one in front and back of the motor. If the motor heats up the seal may leak air and the engine will die. I had a Shindaiwa that was about 10 years old and it had the same problem. The seals used to not cost very much and were pretty easy to replace. The front one was replaced by removing the pull start and then the nut on the crankshaft. The seal was pulled out with a screwdriver. Good luck.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

be carfull when removing crank seals to not score the shaft, use a screw and screw it into the seal then pull
Old 01-15-2010, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mow crew View Post
Coils going bad in this case would be due to heat...
Sometimes coils work fine when they're cold, then as the engine heats up they crap out.

So, have you tried swapping the coil from the running one to the non?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Old machines, been sitting with gas in them = Gummed up Carburetor. Carb needs to be taken off and taken apart, and thouroghly cleaned inside, and probably change the reeds.

Tags
blower , br400 , stihl , wont run