Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Overall opinions on Wells Vs. Bullytes

I know that bullytes certainly have a place especially in thick ground cover or where you need the tight degree on narrow columns, down lighting, etc. But for anything that requires a bab or above in width, I am really finding myself liking the luminance and overall brilliance of the well much better. I guess I am wondering, am I doing the customer a disservice when I have previously used bullytes for uplighting 15 foot crapes, river birches and the like or on large architectural flat surfaces where im grazing with a wider spread.

I have done some comparisons lately at night and simply really like the end result that the well is producing especially on uplighting trees. I had been dodging wells like the plague because of their reputation for being garbage collectors, lack of flexibility and honestly because they require more work to install. But with certain improvements over the past few years in channeling away garbage and the improved range of motion they seem to be much more appealing now. Opinions?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm partial to FX Luminaire's CF wells because of the way the curved grate sheds debris. I like the optional blue tinted lens too.

When uplighting trees, for me it's a question of other stuff around the fixture... if it's ground gover or perennials or shrubs then I go with a bullet, sometimes on an extension, to clear plants.

If in something like cobbles (common around live oaks here) then a well light is often a better choice.

Last edited by irrig8r; 11-10-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What your really comparing here GreenLight is MR16 vs. Par36. We have hashed this subject out before here and it really boils down to preference. I will tell you that the Par36 lamp is my favorite lamp when lighting up larger trees and architecture. Especially Trees with large canopies or higher density canopies.

The well light itself also has its place in lighting design but like most will tell you their is an added cost when it comes to installation and maintenance. Well lights need to be maintained so that they do not gather dry leaves, ground cover, or grass clippings. You risk the chance of smoldering, burning, and melt down of the fixtures. BUT the well light isn't the only product that utilizes the Par36. We make 3 above ground flood lights that use the Par36 lamp:

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/BIGBANG.htm

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/OXFORD.htm

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/BISHOP.htm

We all know the strengths of the MR16 so no need to go into that. The Par lamp gets a bad wrap sometimes due to those who despise well lights, but the Par36 is still the ONLY lamp that is made for outdoor lighting. The GE Par36 is flame sealed and is able to withstand the elements without the protection of an enclosed fixture. The MR16 however needs to be very well protected.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
I'm partial to FX Luminaire's CF wells because of the way the curved grate sheds debris. I like the optional blue tinted lens too.

When uplighting trees, for me it's a question of other stuff around the fixture... if it's ground cover or perennials or shrubs then I go with a bullet, sometimes on an extension, to clear plants.

If in something like cobbles (common around live oaks here) then a well light is often a better choice.
Corrected typo above...

Joey has some good points, but if you look at the fixtures he suggest, they are still going to collect debris.

The grate on the FX CF is an interesting design that fits on either end of the can (flat side or sloped side).. and it sheds most leaves and debris:

(Unfortunately the image looks a little too dark.)

It comes with a Xenolux® PAR 36 lamp rated at 8,000 hrs.

http://fxl.com/products/product.htm?id=90
Old 11-10-2009, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use both, why do you have to limit yourself to one or the other? Painters paint with many different brushes to create a masterpiece.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good analogy Tim. I often refer to the fixtures as the brushes, the lamps as the paint and the landscape as the canvass.

Was Renoir competition to Monet? Heck no!

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 11-12-2009, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Renoir had his style, Monet had his......Both were still master artists!

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 11-12-2009, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I mostly install well lights not only because they use PARs and have good light output, but the landscape looks so much cleaner during the day versus seeing bullet lights sticking out of the ground everywhere. I've had several customers come home as we are wrapping up the install and ask us "where are all of the lights?" I love when that happens.

They are a bit more work to install as already mentioned and my biggest problem here in central Texas is dealing with the ants that build mounds over them, but nothing that a little Amdro can't handle.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pars have no place in a professional artist's tools, that is like using a Walmart brush that leaves bristles all in your work. Pars have no Pros, outside of your client can't easily buy quality lamps at HD & Lowes, but our clients don't really shop there anyway. The cons are extensive, and most of these points have been beat to death here already. I hope everyone continues to spec Pars in my area, because I love to educate customers about artists that use cheap brushes. PARS RULE!!

Now, Ingrade vs. Stake mounted are options that we should have in our tool pouch, we use some shielded ingrade fixtures in most every one of out paintings.

Last edited by Eden Lights; 11-12-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Lights View Post
Pars have no place in a professional artist's tools, that is like using a Walmart brush that leaves bristles all in your work. Pars have no Pros, outside of your client can't easily buy quality lamps at HD & Lowes, but our clients don't really shop there anyway. The cons are extensive, and most of these points have been beat to death here already. I hope everyone continues to spec Pars in my area, because I love to educate customers about artists that use cheap brushes. PARS RULE!!

Now, Ingrade vs. Stake mounted are options that we should have in our tool pouch, we use some shielded ingrade fixtures in most every one of out paintings.

Sorry Eddie but are you calling me unprofessional because I use Pars for some applications? Just asking cause my architectural lighting smokes all the MR users around here. I have to agree that the Par housings for well lights absolutely suck and I would much rather use a fully enclosed MR fixture and always do for anything other than grazing architecture. I probably install 15 MRs to every par I use on average but I have done side by sides and even with lensing on the MR it does not provide as smooth and as full a spread of light as do the Pars on architectural grazing applications. So what is the hang up on Pars, I guess I don't get it. It's just another freakin lamp man. I guess I just won't make it into the recorded book of national lighting professionals because I use pars sometimes. Oh well, I can live with that.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com