Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dumpster Company Hates Me

It's an 8 yard can they come dump it 3 times a week. It's crazy how fast the grass is growing.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

start a Compost Pile!!! recycle that grass.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i can see why green waste in plastic bags, probably cheaper if they could haul and recycle rather than dummping at a land fill. here they will not collect if yard waste is not in paper bags or decomposable type bags.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah NY is so liberal (from what I hear), I'm surprised they don't have restrictions on that kind of stuff... You could (as stated earlier) start a compost pile, or perhaps find someone with horses or other livestock that would like to have it dumped on their property for feed...
Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Even cutting winter rye down here in Texas in the cool season we've never bagged a single thing. Bagging is way too much work and depletes the soil since your stopping the natural cycle. The grass growing is removing nutrients that the clippings would normally be returning to the soil.

We don't do the open chutes thing either since that also creates more effort to blow things off. We mulch everything and even if it's rye there's not a problem. NY is putting forth an effort to keep clippings out of landfills as well http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/8816.html.

If for some reason I did bag the clippings I would buy a 16' or 20' dump trailer so I could dump the bags and reuse them. We use the expensive Home Depot Husky bags in the yellow box and use slip knots to make dumping them a snap. They just improved the bags by adding ears to make tying even easier.

How much is each dumpster tipping fee?
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 05-16-2012, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with my fellow Texan. No bagged grass in the landfills in my area. We just deal with it with mulching mowers. Even winter / cool season grasses.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your website home page looks good. Now you just need to get some pictures of your work on their instead of clip art. You have a lot of services listed to not have a single project picture.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Your website home page looks good. Now you just need to get some pictures of your work on their instead of clip art. You have a lot of services listed to not have a single project picture.
You suggesting this over loaded dumpster is clip art or are you drinking shiner?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I agree with my fellow Texan. No bagged grass in the landfills in my area. We just deal with it with mulching mowers. Even winter / cool season grasses.
I'm actually a Yankee in disguise. Born and raised in Maine not all that far from NY but I've been down here in Texas since 1993. Army brought me to Texas and the Hispanic women kept me here.

It much easier to make a living in the landscape trade down here then it would be in Maine. I'd be lucky to make half what I do in the Austin, Texas area if I were still up north. Maine is a great place for a second summer home on a lake though.
Owner- David

Old 05-16-2012, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I'm actually a Yankee in disguise. Born and raised in Maine not all that far from NY but I've been down here in Texas since 1993. Army brought me to Texas and the Hispanic women kept me here.

It much easier to make a living in the landscape trade down here then it would be in Maine. I'd be lucky to make half what I do in the Austin, Texas area if I were still up north. Maine is a great place for a second summer home on a lake though.
Texan by choice is the best kind.