Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2002, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

78 ford

hey guys, the owner of my house and her bf stopped by yesterday, bf was driving a 1978 ford F-150 long bed 4x4 with a toolbox, manual trans, a few extras, tow hitch, 81,000 miles, decent body (one little dent, some surface rust), mechanically he says only thing wrong is the steering box, and master cylinder, it does drive fine though as he drove a good 30 minutes to get to my house. I said how much for the truck and he said $700 or $800, wasnt ready to sell immediatly. As you all know im a fan of big old fords, or big old trucks of any brand. looking for a good first vehicle and money is minimal because of the high insurance rates. when it comes to mechanics i dont know much, are master cylinders and steering boxes major? will this truck be nothing but problems because of its age, or will it be ok since it has such low miles? i know most trucks if taken care of can go till 300,000 miles. what are your guys thoughts on this?
Old 05-14-2002, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
Master cylinder is easy job on those old fords. I've never changed a steering gear, just adjusted, seems like it would be simple from looking at the manual. No special tools. Some parts are hard to get on the old trucks, do you have a wrecking yard near that has some similar models?
If you havent done much mech. work get somebody who knows what they are doing to check the truck before you buy.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

If it runs good 700 - 800 would be a good Buy.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That does sound like a decent price but don't assume that all trucks go anywhere near 300,000 miles. Also don't assume the miles showing on this truck are actual. He is the salesman and a good salesman will do anything to get the sale. But if you asked him about the truck and he didn't initiate anything then you should be ok.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks like I'm a little late to the party but here goes anyway...

$700 or $800 is not a bad price if it runs well and doesn't have any significant rust or unusual grinding noices Changing a steering box is doable with hand tools but a bit pricy. About $278 I believe for a rebuilt unit. (I bought one about a year ago). You can get a used unit at the junk yard for $50 to $75 but of course run the risk of getting one as bad or worse than you have. The nice thing about these trucks is there are tons of used parts available reasonably cheap. Good luck.

Mike
Old 06-14-2002, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Buy it.

Nothing beats a NP 435 in granny with the bulletproof NP 205 in 4-low for creeping along.