Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2009, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Honda 21 hp push mower

*** WOOPS: TITLE SHOULD SAY "HONDA 21" push mower" ***

I have been having problems with my toro push mower. Its about 8-10 years old,the tranny is wearing out, and the carb keeps clogging. I checked around on craigslist, and found me a 21" Honda HRR216VXA- got it for 150.00. The guy used it for his house, had a little yard and it looked BARELY USED. Almost like he scrubbed the thing every single time after he used it. It literally looks like its no more than a few months old, and its going on 3 years old. Has had it maintained at a local shop, starts EVERY time on the first pull. Amazes me. Has the little thumb motion control, which is kinda aggravating but oh well. Some reasons i went with it over a full commercial one is, well, its a honda, and they seem to last forever. Secondly, i only use it on my yard and maybe 2-4 yards out of 50 or so, so no need for spending 1200+ when i dont focus on small yards. Its cut is exceptional, and for what i got it for, compared to the price of a new one which is 500+ tax, i took it and ran. So what u guys think? Good deal?
09 29 hp Exmark Nxt Lazer Z 60"
2 Shindaiwa backpaks
1 Redmax trimmer
2 t270 shindaiwas
1 t260 shindaiwa
Echo edger/ echo hedge trimmers
Weekend toy: 2003 KenneBell Mustang Cobra 632hp/611tq
Old 11-11-2009, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think anything with the Honda name is a good and smart deal! Whether it be a mower, car, snowblower... good quality products.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2009, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I went ahead and bought the $1200 Honda two months ago. Although it's built tough as nails, I'm very disappointed with the quality of cut. Too many "stragglers"; especially with the twin blades installed. I think there's very little lift from the blades and that hurts the cut.

Not what I expected froma $1200 mower. I'd rather buy a $400 Home Depot mower three times than what I bought.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love my exmark mower, does everything I want it to do just fine.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnspecialties View Post
I went ahead and bought the $1200 Honda two months ago. Although it's built tough as nails, I'm very disappointed with the quality of cut. Too many "stragglers"; especially with the twin blades installed. I think there's very little lift from the blades and that hurts the cut.

Not what I expected froma $1200 mower. I'd rather buy a $400 Home Depot mower three times than what I bought.
The one I've borrowed cuts nice but leaves a streak of uncut grass in a lot of places and that's unacceptable for any mower, much less a $1200 one.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I have an HRX217 and it does an excellent job on bermuda grass. However, I agree with however said these mowers lack suction/lift. When I use it on fescue it leaves to many stragglers behind. If it leaves a nice cut for you then you've found a great deal, can't beat that price. If nothing else maybe you could swap the engine off it onto the toro and replace the tranny?
Shindaiwa T242 trimmer
Honda HHT35 trimmer
Honda HHE31C edger
Shindaiwa EB802RT blower
Husqvarna 125B blower
Shindaiwa DH231 30" Hedge Trimmer
Billy Goat aerator
16' Tandem Axle trailer w/ side and rear gate
'92 GMC C1500
Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've always noticed that the cheap azz push mowers you see for $100 new seem to cut great for some reason. Is it just me?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I was given an MTD 21" bagger/mulcher from walmart a few years ago, although sometimes its a little undrpowered in high grass, it cuts just as well as the honda's ive used. The honda's always seemed to leave straglers right at the edge of the deck inline with the wheel...
Old 11-11-2009, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Side Lawn Care View Post
I was given an MTD 21" bagger/mulcher from walmart a few years ago, although sometimes its a little undrpowered in high grass, it cuts just as well as the honda's ive used. The honda's always seemed to leave straglers right at the edge of the deck inline with the wheel...
I have a 21 I bought from Wal-Mart - has the 675 B & S engine. Now I think it was a very wise investment because it cuts just fine, good quality, has good lift and bags everything if need nicely.

Now considering I bought it for like $200 on Clearance and I rarely have a use for a 21. I think it makes a better business decision than paying $800 or more for a 21in. Now I now people will say that Honda will last forever, but guess what - they will not last any better than the 6 Wal-Mart mowers that I can buy at the Honda Retail.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the exmark and yes I don't use it much solo, I'll have more use for it later, I've had yards where I've used only it and nothing else. It will last longer because it has the super deck and engine, plus I take care of my stuff. The self propulsion is much stronger and allows me to go faster, and it also turns on easier. If people want to get the cheap ones, that's fine, but I like what I have.