Register free!

Old 05-14-2002, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Granular Fertilizer

I think I am pretty sure you need no license to spread granular fertlizer for a customer. Right?
Old 05-14-2002, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably not, as long as it isn't a "Weed & Feed" or "Insect Control" where the fertilizer is mixed with a pesticide. Just to be sure, you should contact your State Dept. of Agriculture.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know the rules in your state. Scraper has it right, contact your state Ag dept. In Illinois you can app stright fert without license but you must post the property just as a pesticide app must be posted.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not positive, but we we told by other lawn care people in Indiana that as long as you don't spray, you don't need any certification. We have been told not to have any type of sprayer at all on our trailer (even the little ones you can buy at Wal-Mart).

We have been applying the weed and feed type granular products without a problem.

I think that if you want to spray in Indiana, there are certain Hazardous Materials classes you have to take to get that type of certification.

1998 GMC Pick Up w/2002 Western Pro Plow
18’ Open Trailer
Billy Goat Truck Loader
2003 48” SCAG ZTR
2004 61” SCAG ZTR
2000 Honda 21” Push mower
Little Wonder Edger
Honda String Trimmer
Echo String Trimmer
Husqvarna 145 & 165 blowers
Stihl Hedge clippers

www.garyfd2.com
Old 05-14-2002, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a pesticide, you need a license.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Liquid or granular isn't the issue. If a product is labeled for control of anything, it then has an EPA registration number. Then it is by definition a pesticide. Regardless of what it controls, wheather a pesticide is mixed with water, applied to an inert granular carrier, or sprayed onto fertilizer, it's still a pesticide. You therfore need a commercial pesticide applicators license to spray or spread for hire.

http://www.isco.purdue.edu/howdoI.pdf

Like many states, you would probably want to go for 3a & 3b categories.

Also like too many states, the incorrect impression that spreading granular products is OK. This goes largely unoticed because most field inspectors are responding to complaints instead of checking for landscapers with spreaders.

Steve
Old 05-14-2002, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing down here. Fertilizer is ok but ANY kind of pesticide requires the proper certification. One thing I don't understand is I see pressure washers using chlorine to clean with. Chlorine according to the label is a PESTICIDE to be used for swimming pool sanitation and using it to pressure clean with is inconsistent with the label. Should you need to be certified to use it to pressure clean? Just curious. Any opinions?
Old 05-14-2002, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maple City, before you spread another bag of weed & feed, you should call the Dept. of Ag. and ask them what the fine is for using pesticides without a licence. That might shed some new light on the issue.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

In nebraska you need a license to spread a fertilizer/pesitcide mix and it my understanding that in misouri you can't even go out a measure and recomend a product unless you have a license.... keeps you from having the secretary out measuring lawns
Old 05-15-2002, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Catch 22

TGLC,

In New York you do need a license to purchase & use the heavy duty forms of chlorine. If a pool is to be used in even a semi-public way, ie camps, schools, country clubs, etc, you not only need to be licensed but your facilities must be inspected by the local health dept.

Yet not unlike the hardware store & garden center purchases of & illegal commercial (semi-commercial) apllication of pesticides, there is a deep seated & somewhat well founded fear of any legal steps that would limit our personal freedoms in this country. It's kind of ironic that once we're certified & legal, we support the laws that make us legal & more unique in the market place. Yet we'd still be screaming bloody murder if our uncle Joe couldn't but a can of Wasp & Hornet killer at the local Super Market.

Catch 22

Steve