Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

257B2 thoughts?

cat dealer has repo 08 257 b2 cab A/H power q/t and 2 buckets, 235 hours looks brand new...$26k. anybody running one? Was looking close at 07 deere ct322 same as above but 500hrs for $24.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
cat dealer has repo 08 257 b2 cab A/H power q/t and 2 buckets, 235 hours looks brand new...$26k. anybody running one? Was looking close at 07 deere ct322 same as above but 500hrs for $24.

The guy had his MTL repoed and he probably hadn't even started to pay the upkeep on the CAT. Good thing he went teats up when he did.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i get what you are saying, but that is really a chance with any used equipment? something to think about
Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
i get what you are saying, but that is really a chance with any used equipment? something to think about

What I was getting at was the upkeep involved in CAT MTL's in general not that one specifically. Unless you can keep the machine in pristine material, I would get a CTL, even if its a CAT CTL.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The ASV undercarriages are tougher than they look.
I spent 14 hours in rock, mud, manure, sour milk, crushed concrete and 12" pit run, and no wear.
Do the anti-stall and relief valve mods and you got an animal.
Don't do the injection pump turn up, I turned mine back and the fuel economy got better with less oil burning.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 11-11-2009, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's not just the track replacement on the ASV that'll smack the wallet, but the plastic rubber coated rollers will chunk out and need to be replaced as well - and more then likely one of the rear roller bearings will fail due to crappy seal design and if you don't catch it in time, it will in turn gnaw on the spindle shaft it's mounted to. Problem with that is replacing the shaft is part of the undercarriage itself and $$$ take out another loan for all that to be repaired.

Or, you could just throw on another set of new rubber tracks on the Deere when they're worn out and go back to work. No roller/idler bearing failures to worry about and real easy track adjustment with a grease gun to boot.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ron, do you feel you have "enough'" power? I always heard that was a downfall of 257s
Old 11-12-2009, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidsteerman View Post
It's not just the track replacement on the ASV that'll smack the wallet, but the plastic rubber coated rollers will chunk out and need to be replaced as well - and more then likely one of the rear roller bearings will fail due to crappy seal design and if you don't catch it in time, it will in turn gnaw on the spindle shaft it's mounted to. Problem with that is replacing the shaft is part of the undercarriage itself and $$$ take out another loan for all that to be repaired.

Or, you could just throw on another set of new rubber tracks on the Deere when they're worn out and go back to work. No roller/idler bearing failures to worry about and real easy track adjustment with a grease gun to boot.
I'm not going to even push one brand over the other here, but I will say that the "rubber coated rollers will chunk out" story is pretty lame now. Most guys that sell for Bobcat, Deere, NH, Takeuchi, etc. failed to even recognize that ASV and CAT started putting a steel roller on the rear idlers of the 247/257B2 some time ago....but the Koolaid put out by their respective marketing departments was consumed in quantities too great for most to look and find out without taking off their sun glasses. I personally know a guy who HAS had wheel failures on both of his Deere 332s so to say that it doesn't happen..on anyones machine is simply bunk.

I have had a old RC50 long enough to put over 2,000 hours on the first set of tracks and I didn't "chunk out my rubber coated wheels" during that time span...granted, I didn't spend all of my time in "shot rock" either, but most of us don't. Also, all of the seals on the CAT 247/257B2s are metal face seals of the same technology that Deere (or should I say Berco..yes the undercarriage was designed entirely by Italians) uses. That 2008 will have them so I wouldn't worry too much about spindle shafts.

I will tell you that the 257 is not my favorite machine due to its weight and relatively low hp. While the bearings AND the seals will most likely be fine, I think the weight has a negative impact on the track life. Ever wonder why ASV doesn't have a heavier machine than the PT-60 (6300lbs) on that same undercarriage? The CAT 257B2 is pushing 8000lbs. I would try the machine if you can to see if it will do what you want it to do, and then look at others that fit the size and scope of what you want to do with the machine.

I think you will find that most of us on here are pretty opinionated on our favorite brands.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I think you will find that most of us on here are pretty opinionated on our favorite brands.
What the heck are you talking about, not here.

My opinion is to stay away from a 257B. Before I bought my 267B, I tested a 257B, well needless to say thats why I went with the 267.

If you are looking 257B and CT322, the 322 will out work the cat all day long and then some. The undercarriages are weak on the MTL's. And very expensive when things go wrong. I just spent $3,000 on mine, that sucked.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Demo a BC T190, It will out perform a 257B2 all day. No need to void any warranties(if there is one)by turning things up.