Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I need advice on selling accounts.

I have accounts in 17 metropolitan cities accross the country and I am looking to sell most of these contracts. My concern is how do I present this to the customer? Does anyone have any experiance with this?

Most of the customers are still under contract but many have simply lived out their guaranteed services and are just good custmomers (but with agreements in place still). But I don't want them to be upset that a new company has purchased the agreement and want to make this as seemless as possible for the companies buying them so they will buy more later hopefully.

All of the contracts/agreements are transferable (that Attorney was worth his weight in gold for insisting we did this starting 2 years ago in case we ever decided to do this). But regardless of havign the right to sell, them, I want the customers to stay with the company buying them long term.

Any ideas or experiances would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In the 2 businesses I have bought I just sent the new customers a letter. In this letter I said a little about the our company and that we had acquired their previous lawn care provider. I told them all services would continue as normal and the prices would not change from last year. I lost less than 10% of the customer base in each transaction (except for a subcontract deal I got screwed on, but that's another story).

In the letter I think it is important to let the customer know that we acquired the business and are therefor their account. I didn't put it on as if we purchased their account (I doubt people like to be bought and sold).

$.02

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...
Old 11-13-2009, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Makes sense. So basically, I should just stay out of it and let whoever is buying the account contact the customer in their own way?
Old 11-13-2009, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkortas View Post
Makes sense. So basically, I should just stay out of it and let whoever is buying the account contact the customer in their own way?
That is what happened on the last two businesses I bought. Or you could write a closing letter to the customer, and then put that in with his opening letter.

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...
Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What cities are you selling?

When there is a transfer in maintenance there should be one letter with both companys signatures on the same page. This shows the transition. You can word the letter however you want just so long as it explains who they need to contact for maintenance requests, suggestions etc.
Sub-contract Aerifying available too