Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2002, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

170 psi !!!!!!

Measured a customers sprinkler system the other day. I've been telling him for several years he needs a pressure regulator. He was telling me that his pressure now seems even higher. So, I measure it.......170 psi !!!!!! I've never seen city water pressure that high. I even checked 2 neighbors.........same pressure.

Anyone ever seen city water pressure this high?

He called city utilities.........I have yet to hear what they told him
Old 05-14-2002, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

From a city supply line, the most I've ever dealt with was 110 psi.

Yes, I would defintly(sp) have a regulator installed as that's not optimum water pressure. Get a good liscensed irrigation contractorfrom your area .

Now this may be a dumb question, but the house water supply, is there a pressure regulator their????

John
Old 05-15-2002, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I used to be a plumber. Saw pressure that high one time. It would cause weird things to happen though, like the ball **** valves in toilets to be pushed under water from the pressure, water heater pressure relief valves to go off on other spooky stuff like that.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes, there is a pressure regulator that regulates the water pressure for the house. His sprinkler system was tapped in before the regulator, thus the high pressure. City code in our area requires that a pressure regulator be installed before the water meter. Customer is going to contact city water, because I believe they might fix his situation for him at no cost. Will post back when I find out more.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are parts in my own city where the city of Millbrae installed a pressure regulator after there water meter, but before pipe goes inside house. The catch is,by code you must also have a regulator once the pipe goes into the house(by gate valve for house. The regulators that the city is responsible always fails around the 10th year. It seems to me to regulate pressure at on point than at a bunch of houses.

John
Old 05-16-2002, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

You need to put a regulater on the client line ASAP. Like the post before it is no wonder he hasn't seen his toilits bust yet. I try to keep my clients homes running about 80-90psi. Anymore than that and it will cause major problems in the very near future. I also use Hunter products and they are made for commerial use and 80-90 psi has never failed me.

The only down side is you might have to put somemore heads or lines in because the lake of pressure and less coverage.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my guess is that the system wasn't designed at 170psi....so going down to 80-90 shouldn't be a problem......but.......the flow characteristics of a pressure regulator are worse that a straight pipe so the 80-90 lbs may be fine but the gpm can be reduced significantly based on the way the regulator is designed....so purchase the regulator accordingly...

Check to see how many gpm you need on the biggest zone and make sure the pressure regulator that is installed can push that...

By the way, gpm is one of those abbreviations that doesn't need to have an "s" added to it, kinda like RBI.......LOL