Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2009, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrack View Post
I have use those as well for the pump housing, but what about all of the other area in the basin?

I usually put the sump in the middle, then have the roll of pipe go around the sump.
That's what I meant, but I just bite the bullet and use the water matrix boxes. It's when your getting into the bigger vaults that the amtrix boxes eat up the money.

The 55 gallon plastic drums cut in half would be a great way to take up space and keep the water volume greater. This is when you have to weigh the difference in the parts cost and the labor time to have a laborer drill holes into the barrels etc.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
That's what I meant, but I just bite the bullet and use the water matrix boxes. It's when your getting into the bigger vaults that the amtrix boxes eat up the money.

The 55 gallon plastic drums cut in half would be a great way to take up space and keep the water volume greater. This is when you have to weigh the difference in the parts cost and the labor time to have a laborer drill holes into the barrels etc.
I got you now. I am about to install a pondless in a couple days, maybe I will try the drum idea on this one. You said you can buy those at Home Depot?
I usually just buy the 100' roll of the pipe and it's only like $32
Old 11-17-2009, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep the sump pump basin I get from Home Depot.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

D-Rain

When we do pond less we use these d-rain click together cages they make a good water and pump vault. There nice when your hooking a automatic waterfill float in them. Makes winterizing easy and less excavation and rock needed.
Name:  draintankhd.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  13.0 KB
Old 11-27-2009, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice water feature! How many of these have you installed? If this is your first I'd say it's a REALLY nice job.

Yah, like the others said, you don't need all that aquascape stuff. Especially the snorkel, centipede deal. And you don't need expensive boxes either. We've built dozens of these over the years. We'll either use a PondEco Vault (which is manufactured JUST for pondless waterfalls, with holes already pre-drilled in it). Or more often nowadays we just use a jumbo valve box (if you do any irrigation, you know what those are) and maybe a few extensions. Then we just drill a few holes on the top and sides. The lid works perfectly for keeping rock out too so the pump can be inside and enclosure without rocks getting to it.

I love the photo from behind the water feature with the Bloodgood Japanese Maple and the little pink flowering shrubs and the nandinas. Nice planting there. But on the photos from the front side, the planting looks a little lackluster. Just grasses (or are those liriope? ) all over the place. And they don't look very lush either. I would have liked to see a weeping jap. maple near the bottom hanging over or some other weeping tree and also some other flowering perennials or ferns or small shrubs and more varied grasses along the waterfall too. That would have made it really pop.

But overall, very well done! Nice placement and use of different varieties of rock and different shapes too. That's one of my biggest complaints with most other landscapers water features - they often use too much of the same kind of rock and same sizes and same color. You gotta throw in various kinds and colors and shapes of rock to come off with a natural look. Yours did that pretty well. So congrats for that.

No underlayment??? Tsk Tsk....

What pump you use?

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 12-14-2009, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim,

Spent a lot of time looking at your work, before i tackled this on! Even though you are on the other side of the coast, I like your planting designs/selections, constructive comments here... I used a Aquascape 2000 gph pump for micro pondless units. I added 3 LED submersable lights on each tier drop, plus some uplighting and path lights as well. Id like to learn how to get away with not using a weir up top, and have it flow more naturally but I guess that comes with time Its hard to see but there are hostas, phlox, coral bells, creeping sedum in the beds among the k. forester grasses. There is an underlayment padding for the pondless area.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it will look even nicer when those other plants you mentioned (hostas, coral bells, etc.) start to show more. Obviously, the hostas are down for the winter. But they'll get bigger in coming years.

Still, very nice job. Nicer than most I see around here. Was it your first?

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon