Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2009, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Just hoping to get things started.......

36 year old father of one 16 year old son with a baby on the way. Looking to start a mowing business next spring with my son involved. I work shift work as a 911 fire dispatcher, so I have time to do it and would like to have my son get a little taste of "the real world". Plus what could be better than spending time with him and making money at the same time?! Have a little experience with it as I worked on and off with my best friend who has a landscaping company he runs on his days off from the fire department. I already have a John Deere Z510a (w/bagger) that i bought for my own yard as well as the trimmer and blower and such. Just missing the trailer, that I will get as spring gets closer and I know i have some accounts. In the mean time I am working on getting licensed and insured and all that stuff. Looking to start out small with some smaller residentials and see where it goes from there. I know that the mower i have isnt the best for this but im hoping to pay it off and be able to move up! Who knows this may turn in to a full time gig! Any advice is appreciated!

Jeff
Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to Lawnsite. Good luck with your new endeavor. It's definitely a good decision on your part to get licensed and insured. My advice would be to try and upgrade to a commercial mower as quick as possible. Best of luck dude!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Good luck firebox700, The department will miss you won't they ? 8-)

It's really great you included your son to instill some positive work ethics.
Wish you and your son the best on your venture.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

You are entering a great business. I got in the business in 1978 in Pennsylvania and moved to Florida in 1980 and never looked back. Sold my company in 2002 and still love being involved with newcomers to this industry. Work hard, learn from your peers and go for it!!!!

Rick
Old 11-17-2009, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck Firebox!
You came to the right place, I wish I had known about lawnsite my first year.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just from a dad's perspective - you're in for a treat! You are really going to treasure the time with your son. There's something about being with him out in the field working and watching him mature, making decsions and watching or I should say helping him turn into a man. The memories will last forever! Of my three boys who have all grown up working in the family landscape business inbetween their sports and school - my oldest ended up taking over the business. It's a unique bond that you would only understand going through it. There's times when you want to kill each other, but believe it or not - it only make you stronger. Your really going to enjoy it!

If there is anything I can ever help you with, don't hesitate to ask.

Tommy
Old 11-20-2009, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for everyones encouragement! I appreciate it. As far as my son goes, he's now not sure if he wants to do it because he has another job offer for next summer. I told him it was up to him. Soooo..........It looks like i may be solo most the time.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebox700 View Post
Thanks for everyones encouragement! I appreciate it. As far as my son goes, he's now not sure if he wants to do it because he has another job offer for next summer. I told him it was up to him. Soooo..........It looks like i may be solo most the time.
I started my business three years, I have a young son he is now fourteen and truly has no interest in the business. I love the work and did it when I was his age till I was about twenty years old. He does help occasionally but his diabetes is hard to manage while his is out there. So I work alone most of the time. Just make sure you lock every thing of value as secure as you can and still make it so you have quick access to it. If you don't you might as I did (even tho I have not had anything stolen as of yet) always wonder while your in a back yard if someones making of with your blower or trimmer anything they can grab and go. It is worth it to know you did something to deter some one with sticky fingers! Good luck with your endeavor. David
Old 11-25-2009, 03:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Good luck with the business and following the pack make sure you invest in a commercial mower !
Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Just an update......
I purchased a Big Tex 6x12 trailer as well as a nice Xtreme racks 2 trimmer rack, a Stihl FS110r trimmer, Stihl BR380 back pack blower, also had a decent Echo SRT-261t trimmer given to me by a friend in the business as a back up trimmer. I still have the JD Z510a and plan on just using it for this season. So far i have 4 jobs lined up and start this week. I know its not that many but it's a start. Also got my self insured and got my DBA. I'm hoping that once i get out there and people see my work, I will get more clients. I also put out a bunch of flyers and ran a small add in a local paper. So here goes!!! Hope everyone has a great season!!!