Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2009, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Help with drainage problem

Our lot has a water problem, last year we ripped up a 100 X120 area of lawn and had it turned into a stone lot, there is an existing asphalt lot next to it, along the south and east lot lines there is a drainage ditch, and the new subdivision's sewers route the runnoff to the ditch, the problem is this, before we removed the grass area, in the spring there was a large area that stayed wet till around June, then normally would dry up. This past spring when the frost was coming out, the asphalt area that adjoined the new stone area had approx 20' of the asphalt opening up and dirt and water came out, we tried to put #2 limestone in the holes, it helped but other areas opened up.
My question is this, I was thinking of removing the effected asphalt area, remove the top soil under it, then put down some slotted drain tile, and cover it with stone, will the water that is moving under the stone area go into the slotted drain tile and go to the drainage ditch?, do I have to use a round stone, or can I use the lime stone to cover the tile?
I could use some advise as I need to do this before the snow and frost comes in, so any advise would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Jim.