Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2009, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Member

lesco spreader not working. help!

i've got a lesco 80lb. ss commercial broadcast spreader that WON'T spread. i was about 1/2 done with applying my winterizer when this happened. seems i've sheered a pin....or something. the broadcast "tray"? that is supposed to spin and throw the fert is NOT spinning. this thing is nearly new and i think the owner/user is the problem (that's me). can't find any threads on here (doing a quick search) that addresses this problem...nor can i find the instructions for fixing.

please make your repair suggestions/instructions SIMPLE for the average idiot to follow. is there a web site that shows what/where/how i may need to replace/repair>?< i'm just a homeowner who enjoys trying to make the lawn look good so i've never had to deal with this before.

(p.s.) how likely is it that my lesco (jdl) dealer will have a part to fix it??? if not, where do i go to get something quickly?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, all you need is a heavy duty cotter key. Get it from the hardware. Should be about 2.5" one. Those things just sheer off. Check the gear on the wheels, locate the old key (if still there) remove and align holes, insert key, been key to keep from falling out, done.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My JDL dealer has them in stock & was kind enough not to charge for installation. It took 5 minutes.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 11-17-2009, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

This is a very simple fix. Go to your JDL store and they will sell you a roll pin (about $1.00) and show you how to fix it. It should not take more than 5 min's. If it is the impeller pin you are replacing do not use a cotter key. This will stretch out the plastic on the impeller and the pin will fall out over time. (You can use a cotter pin on the drive wheel but not the impeller.)
Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

i did a quick visual of the cotter pin in the drive wheel and it's stil in place. at least i can see both ends of the pin...which should be a good indication the pin is not broken (maybe). i should have pulled it out and give it a closer inspection...but at first glance, i think it's still okay. that said, it must be the other pin being mentioned in this thread. now, figuring out how to change it is MY challenge.......and i do mean challenge. (i'm helpless)
Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Use a small hole punch to knock out the old pin. Then line up the holes in the impeller and the shaft and gently get the new pin started into the impeller. Once it is set in the plastic of the impeller you should be able to pound it through the shaft and into the plastic on the other side. Just don't hit it too hard or you will mushroom the end of the pin. I use something flat inbetween the pin and the hammer. This prevents mushrooming the pin out. good luck
Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nah your not helpless take your time and figure it out its just nuts and bolts and pins not working on the space shuttle...
Old 11-17-2009, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks all...for the great information. i called jdl and seems they (all 3 locations) are all a little short on parts for these spreaders. apparently, everybody is gearing up/stocking up for winter to spread salt and there's been a run on spreader parts. so......

the other problem is, i can't tell them which of the 3 roll pins (according to jdl) is broken since i didn't know how to diagnose the problem when it first broke. now, i'm at work (real job) and away from the spreader so i can't do a look-see to know which pin i need. this isn't real helpful to jdl...but, they have a spreader in stock and can show me what i need to do to diagnose. hopefully they have all 3...or it's a one size fits all deal and they have some in stock.

again, all i know is that fertilizer is dropping onto the impeller??? (tray) that is suppose to spin/throw/broadcast the material and it ain't spinning.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used a nail in a pinch..always carry a few in the truck they actually last longer than the pins.. those pins break really easy in humid weather and the fertilizer gets a little heavier.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can get the roll-pins at any hardware store. Check to make sure the axle is turning as you spin the right hand wheel. Check to see if the platter fails to spin with the vertical shaft. Replace if needed. See Ro1207 advice. Coat hanger wire works in a pinch. If Ok so far, remove the gear cover if your model has one. There is a pin that fixes the large gear to the axle, check it. There is a tiny pin that fixes the small gear to the vertical shaft--check that. There is a collar that pushes the gears together (it is tightened with an Allen screw) check that it is tight, so the gears mesh. If it is almost new--it should not break. Hope this helps.