Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2009, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Member

as a follow-up, it turns out that i have 2 sheered roll pins. the first is the one that goes through the verticle shaft and impeller....easy enough, providing i could have bought the pin at jdl, however, they were OUT. the second is the roll pin below the impeller going through the verticle shaft. to get to it, you have to remove 3 screws, which i did (applause please), but was unable to figure out how to put the new pin back in given it is down inside the plastic housing and not enough clearance to access. oh well, at least i have the new pin...the rest is to figure out.

by the way, it seems a bit dangerous to use nails as a substitute for roll pins. clearly, i can see it would get you through in a pinch, but substitutes could result in damage to gears??? i think i'd prefer to sheer/replace a roll pin rather than more expensive gears.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A bad sign if Lesco/JDL doesn't have the parts. Maybe that means they are not going to support their spreader anymore. I don't understand how those pins could have broken. Rust is part of the problem on mine. Do you have the made in America version or the new Chinese-made version? I have a Scotts spreader, but they are very similar. Do you mean that you must replace the tiny roll pin that attaches the small gear to the vertical shaft? If so, you should be able remove the gear cover and rotate the platter to bring the roll pin into semi plain sight. You should try to drive the old pin out with a special kind of punch in the proper size called a "drift" or "pin punch", also available at your hardware store. On mine, the size is about 1/16th. OK to drive it out with a nail if you want. Then using the nail or punch to keep the two parts aligned, using your third hand, drive the new pin through, with gentle taps of a smaLL hammer, being careful not to smash the gear. Withdraw the punch as you go.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

riggle,

thanks for the tip (duh)...of rotating the platter to bring or lift the verticle shaft upward so i can access the roll pin hole. yes, it's in the "small gear" area......so you say. all i know is i had to remove 3 screws and lift or slide the cover up and then the plastic gear-like thing in order to see the roll pin hole (minus the pin).

yes, i think mine is the made in china version as i bought it new about 1 year ago. i was a bit disappointed to learn that these pins were broken. however, the more i'm learning about this stupid spreader, i realize i probably caused the damage by pushing it through some ruts/dips/holes while trying to spread fertilizer a little too close to the edge of my foundation beds and base of trees. too much force i suppose.

funny thing, i contacted 2 jdl dealers and both had a very limited selection of spare parts for the spreader. hmmmmmm
Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend of mine gave me a Lesco spreader that he had just put new gears in said he did a couple passes and it stopped working again.I brought it home drove the roll pin out it had broken and was letting the gears spin.Anyways 30 cents later it was fixed and I sold it today for $275 dollars
Old 12-14-2009, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you know, this is all common knowledge with the lesco spreaders now that i have done this for many years now, but i started with a scotts spreader and i have never done anything to it. never broken a pin or etc that the lesco ones do. i love it and reserve it for me and my crew. it was more pricey i think when we bought it, but it is easier to push than the lesco. we own three lesco spreaders, one was an oldy a guy "brought " with him to our company, one was brand new and the other we bought off a lco that was getting out for cheap and it was barely used.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use prize lawn never had a problem http://www.prizelawnspreaders.com/vi...o?itemId=EST-3

I spread penn mulch with them also
Old 12-14-2009, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I know at my Lesco TGCL is bad about coming in cleaning them out on certain, more popular parts. They ask how many they have, then say they will take them all. I can't tell you how many times I've been screwed on Lesco Gun rebuild kits, roll pins and dampeners for D-30's. I used to try to keep 1 of every replacement part such as these, now I keep 2. Mainly because I might have to order it and you never know how long it will take to come in. Pisses me off when TGCL does that!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i really like tgcl, they get me alot of business for not delivering satisfactory results and idiots misinforming customers
Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Lesco spreaders were much better when they were made in the U.S.A.
I swear, every new spreader I had from lesco years worked great, now that there made in "another country" they are made with cheaper material and full of trouble. What is this country doing to itself.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPro7 View Post
Lesco spreaders were much better when they were made in the U.S.A.
I swear, every new spreader I had from lesco years worked great, now that there made in "another country" they are made with cheaper material and full of trouble. What is this country doing to itself.
i cant type the words to fully describe the answer to your question, it is not allowed on here!