Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-18-2009, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

When is busy season in Florida ?

I am woundering when busy season starts and what months they are. grass has stopped growing when does it start growing again ?
Old 11-18-2009, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

depends on what part of the state....we are every week mows april 1st to oct 31 give or take a few weeks depending on weather for any particular year.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

It does depend on what part of the state. I had offices in all 5 major cities. We mowed every week in Miami, but elsewhere we mowed weekly April through October and every other week November through March. However I never laid off and employee in the off season. We stayed busy with remedial work. Good Luck
Old 11-18-2009, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every week is busy week if you want it to be. April-Oct like the other said but then we got mulch, palms, clean ups, landscapes, and on and on. If we have a wet spring then you may start in march and could go till Nov with a wet fall. Most of our irg and fert st aug will grow into november
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Old 11-19-2009, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical breeze View Post
I am woundering when busy season starts and what months they are. grass has stopped growing when does it start growing again ?
Tropical

Your mowing season will also depend on the type of turf. St Augustine in your area will be 36 to 42 cuts per year weather pending. Bahia lawns are cut much less and without irrigation, can be cut as low as 26 cuts per year.

This is not a good time to be starting into mowing in your area. While the market is very open with many retired customer, so is the competition. Lack of construction and jobs has every Tom, Dick, And Harry cutting grass. The other day I saw a newer Lincoln Navigator with two 21 inch mowers cutting grass. No trailer, all equipment was in the new Navigator.

Traditional Rainy Season is 2nd Week of June to 3rd week of Sept. This is when grass cutting has it's highest demand. North Port Fl. is more of a working class area and has many Bahia lawns. Your Better market is to your North in the Venice area with more upscale homes and St Augustine lawns. Most Lawn cutter in your area work only on year round contract with 12 equal monthly payments in order to survive the winter months. While today the Temperature might be 82, the lack of rain and shorter days has most turf semi dormant.

BTW I am not a grass cutter. I am a Pesticide guy and North Port is just at the northern most edge of my market area. I do very little work in the North Port area.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys very helpful. looking to go full force in the summer time right now i am getting a few things here and there like to day I had 3 yards to do and tomorrow 2 yards to do. I still hold a 65 hr week job as a chef looking for a change.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Good Luck, lawn care is a very rewarding industry to be in.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I am on the coast of South Carolina and I echo everything Ric said about the turf and shrubs since the grass has basically stopped growing except for the overseeded lawns. We do everything from lawn and shrub treatments all the way to pruning palms so there is always something to do and something to sell.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can make tons of money year around.
Trimming palms mulching fall and spring clean up sod and so on.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree maybe I have been lucky but I have gone out to pass flyers 4 days and each day I have gotten 1 to 2 jobs I have only passed out about 25 to 30 flyers total. Today one guy called me and said he just needed his yard edged because he has tennis elbow. So I said I will be right there and it took me about 20 minutes total and i charged him $ 15.00 then told me he is thinking of relandscapeing the yard told him I can do that aswell and when he is ready to give me a call.