Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2009, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Which engine orientation is causing the most issues? V-twin running front-back or side-to-side?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 11-26-2009, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

The cylinders are facing sideways on the mower. The picture in the attachment shows what I am saying. The muffler and cross pipe (yellow arrow) are inches from the cylinder and as your moving forward that heat has no were to go. The number one runs hotter then the number two. I believe this engine would last twice as long if it were not for that. Just the same the fuel pump is right behind the muffler as well. Sorry if I offended anyone about Kawasaki but I feel these are valid points and to be treated as if I do not have a clue is a sure fire way to keep me from purchasing or recommending there product. If indeed it is Ferris's muffler then why did he act like he did and just tell me I needed to contact Ferris. The guy was an As! to me and that's all it takes. If told your customer's they were wrong and then challenge there ability or knowledge do think they will call you back??
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2009, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not saying that there is any excuse for the way kawi treated you. I have had manufacturers threat me like Im a moron too. Looking at the picture I think that you have a bit of an oil leak and definatly some clogged cooling fins. Gotta keep that area clean for cooling.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:17 AM
LawnSite Member

The oil is from the valve cover because I took it off to check the guide, I had reseated it, ran and checked to see if it moved again and it did. As for the fins, you can look down them and see daylight, I keep them cleared out. I've been lurking at all the forums and it seems that this is not an isolated incident. At least I can work on them so I don't get stuck with the Repair bill. I could even understand if only one of them did it. The fact of the matter is both of the Kawasaki's did the exact same thing at 1000 hours apart. I don't care if I got my use out of them or not, I kept them clean and its like no matter what you do, there going to break.
That's two of mine plus the ones on this site not to mention how many more unspoken/unheard of. Were getting screwed because if this was a car manufacture they would have issued a recall due to consumers saying something about it. It should be the same for this type of product as well.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Last summer, working at a JD dealership, the air cooled Kawasaki zero-turns (737, 757) have the same problem, only on the other cylinder. All with some hours on them. Some clean, some plugged. And the muffler is in the back, on the same side as your muffler.

I did at least four head swaps...

I always thought that a bronze guide, or liner, would alleviate the problem.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Glad I was not the only one thinking that there was another issue here then a bad engine build. I thought these had alot of hours on them but looking back there only at around 600 and 700 hours. Thanks for the post.

Tags
ferris hydrocut , kawasaki