Register free!

Old 04-30-2000, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had touched on this subject in a previous post, so I might as well give it a fling.<p>I've been going to a new garden center/nursery lately, and something bothers me. On the price tags, they list both the 'homeowner price' and the 'contractor' price.<p>Now, this is nothing new, because usually the contractor price is listed. However, it is usually coded somewhat, and not that you need a ph.D to figure it out, it is at least hidden from the public so that everyone doesn't get to see the discounted price.<p>My question is how do you guys feel about this? To me, its kind of undermining our business. I mean, they are just giving away one of our 'secrets' to say. <p>steveair
Old 05-01-2000, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like this garden center is on the verge of giving away some of their profit, unnecessarily. I would talk to the owner/decision maker about whether they want the contractor business because they are making it harder for the contractor to make any money. Soon everybody will demand the contractor price since it's so blantently displayed. If they are unwilling to protect the pricing, I'd be looking elsewhere for plant material. Besides, growers are going to give a better price and won't take time to deal with homeowners.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
Old 05-01-2000, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As I figure it, the reason contractors get a better pricer is this:<p>We buy in bigger volume, reducing their cost/unit sold.<p>They don't have to spend as much on advertising to us.<p>We don't need hand-holding for every purchase, tying up the time of nursery personnel.<p>If they are going to end up offering the contractor price to retail customers - let 'em. Either the contractor price is too high, or they will lose their shirts selling to those customers for the above reasons.
Old 05-01-2000, 08:38 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Why are you going to a place that sells retail and wholesale? They are competing for your dollars by selling to your customers! Go only to a wholesaler only, he wants your business. He's not looking to sell to anyone that walks in to his place. This is the place you want to take your customers, that way you will keep them yours.<p>----------<br>paul<br>