Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-19-2009, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulching Job Pics

I spent last week clearing underbrush on 20 acres right on Lake Livingston in East Texas. It was nice working along the shore of a lake instead of being stuck in the middle of the woods.

This miss-hap took about an hour to resolve

These next two pictures were about an hour later from when my track came off the back idler so instead of sneaking off for lunch I spent an hour getting the track back on.

This is where it happened I hit the log thats behind the machine. It was over to the side more I just moved it behind the machine when I was looking for a way to lift the back of the CAT off the ground.

Part of the property he only wanted me to make trails in so on one of my passes I found this surprise in the woods.

I didnt dig around to much but it looks like it was a total of 4 graves

Its amazing what you find out in the woods sometimes.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Great looking pics of your 289. How is she holding up so far. We ordered ours last monday she should be here in about four weeks from now. Were u side hilling when your track came off.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hope you didn't disturb the dead

Lots for sale
http://www.ebay.com/sch/approvedjdm/...&_trksid=p3692

Old 11-19-2009, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Pro View Post
Great looking pics of your 289. How is she holding up so far. We ordered ours last monday she should be here in about four weeks from now. Were u side hilling when your track came off.
She is doing good for the most part but we have had some bumps along the way. I was headed back to the truck when the track came off. I was trying to go between the hill and that log so when my right track went over the smaller part of the log it poped the track off. In the pic that back idler is a double they come with a single. After the left and right track came off under 40 hours we took her back to CAT and they upgraded it to the double ideler. Its made a big difference in the tracks staying on and I would recomend not even buying a new 289 if they dont upgrade the rear idlers to a double. I also lost a day on this job due to a hose that came loose on the pump I noticed the pump was sounding different when mulching and after getting out and checking the hydraulic level and seeing it was at the bottom of the site glass I quickly loaded her back up on the trailer for a trip to CAT. They found the problem and tightned up the hose then put in 8 gal of fluid. This was all covered under warranty and done while I waited but I still lost a day for something that should have never been an issue.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you think of Cats CTL frame instead of the MTL?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice job! A couple questions: 1.)How do you like the performance of your mulcher head? and 2.) What was the deciding factor in going for the 289C vs. the 299C?

Great pics, keep them coming!

Andrew

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 11-19-2009, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I always thought double rear idlers made tracks easier to throw off.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Dieselnut I really dont have a good response for you other than I am happy with the frame and the ride quality of the 289.

ARP we went with the 289 over the more powerful 299 due to the 299 having overheating problems in a mulching application. I heard they even had a few of them catch on fire.

The G2 mulching head is good and gets the job done. Its a step up from the Timber Ax I was running. I would guess its equal to the head your running. I would have really liked to have gotten the new Trushhog after demoing it for a day that thing was amzing but the best price we could get on it was 29k and it was listed for around 33k.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnH View Post
Dieselnut I really dont have a good response for you other than I am happy with the frame and the ride quality of the 289.

ARP we went with the 289 over the more powerful 299 due to the 299 having overheating problems in a mulching application. I heard they even had a few of them catch on fire.

The G2 mulching head is good and gets the job done. Its a step up from the Timber Ax I was running. I would guess its equal to the head your running. I would have really liked to have gotten the new Trushhog after demoing it for a day that thing was amzing but the best price we could get on it was 29k and it was listed for around 33k.

The Tushogg that you demoed was it the high speed model? I have an older Tushogg but I was curious how the new one runs.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My god look at that lake! That thing is huge! I would kill to live on a lake that size.
Posted via Mobile Device