Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2009, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Look up Rowmec, they are in Conroe, tx. I think they have one of heads there you can see upclose. They should have a unit running that you can go see as well. They build custom Hydro-ax based units. Good guys, it will be a fun field trip.
At the end of the video of the Kubota with DAH-080C I think shows a good shot of the knives.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I was reading on the Denis Cimaf site that you sharpen the knives. Are they similar to the blades on the Timber AX? After running the Timber Ax and having to sharpen those blades every 6-8 hours I want no part of that anymore. I auctually shapended our timber ax blades today for the last time before selling them.

I will look up that conroe loacation and stop by sometime soon. I auctually keep my equipment on property I have in Conroe.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Dude what are talking about!!!!!!! I mulched for several years with a timberax and that is what I hated most was sharpening blades. Just plain sucked. I don't know what about those blades made them so hard to sharpen but I dreaded it.
Now, you do need to sharpen our blades about the same interval. But when you buy one of our heads it comes with a short shafted, 2 stroke weed eater style grinder. It runs a special disc and turns at about oh 8k rpm. No joke it takes about 20 min to sharpen the blades on the head. Major advantage, our head will cut the same day after day until you change the blades. My timberax served me well but our heads will triple what a timberax can and should do.
Boy if I were to get back into mulching with the info I have now, man what a difference It would make. There is just so much to learn about mulching you have to be doing it to really understand and learn.
I tell people wanting to get into mulching go work for a mulching contractor and if you still like it after a month then it's in your blood. If not then you just saved yourself ALOT of money!!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCsouth View Post
Boy if I were to get back into mulching with the info I have now, man what a difference It would make. There is just so much to learn about mulching you have to be doing it to really understand and learn.
I tell people wanting to get into mulching go work for a mulching contractor and if you still like it after a month then it's in your blood. If not then you just saved yourself ALOT of money!!
You can apply that to just about anything.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I am deffinalty going to look at that head but the fact that I would have to sharpen the blades and use a 2 stroke grinder that I would have to keep up with is a real down fall.

DCsouth whats the ball park price of that head and do you really think it would noticably out perform the Tushogg? I know the Tushogg is twice the head that the G2 is that I have but price played a big part of that decision.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

The grinder is pleasantly small. I went and measured for you, it is 2.5' long. It will fit in the floorboard of your truck. I keep mine in a standard cross bed tool box. No generator, drop cords,or electric grinders!
Now the meat and potatoes. A skid steer head delivered is around 32k. yes that is high until you consider we enjoy a 2-1 production increase over carbides. Several manufacturers have come with a knife of some sort and I have personally run against them with about the same result. Added benefits you get the gas grinder, a box of 22 blades and tools to work on the head. One of our techs (probably me) will come and verify installation and tune the head to your tractor, giving you the best performance your tractor has to offer. Then we do a field startup where we go with you to mulch and get you up to speed using your new head. We alot a full day to do both so if we can get the install knocked out then more time running.
I think if you can see one run you will appreciate the engineering we put into our heads and see how it works.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Well looks like things are finally picking back up since the holidays. Here is a before and after pic from a job I mulched up Monday.

After

Its amazing what at mulching head can do it an acre in 6 hours.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

looks good. hard to believe there was a house in there.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-27-2010, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

After finishing up the above job I moved over to stat a 4 acre mulching job. They wanted me to remove all the trees on the front acre then its somewhat select on the remaining three.

The 289 has been in the shop for the past couple weeks due to a leaking head gasket but CAT has been good to us and provided a 299.

The tree line behind the tank is where I start the mulching.

Below are a couple in progress pictures

We got the 289 back today around 3 and my partner found a soft spot.

They had a 4x4 forklift onsite that pulled us right out.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Curious if you are charging sales tax on the selective clearing/thinning? I got a notice from the state in the form of a letter stating that clearing and thinning for aesthetics is a taxable service. I think it's one more thing for guys to have to deal with. I've had a permit for years and collect tax but it sucks.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing