Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
Yeah that's the set I saw also what do you guys think is a good deal for them? I'm thinking less then five grand. How hard is it to get stuff from canada back to the states? Do I have to pay a tax to bring it in? I just can't decide between a 289 or a 272 with vts???
Posted via Mobile Device

I would think if you could get theVTS for under 5K that would make a 272 look pretty attractive moneywise.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just wish I could run one before I had to go out on a limb. I want something that pushes like a little d4 dozer. My ct332 is just a hoss when its at wot it just pushes and pushes. It will blow down a 15 yard pile of clay in one pass. It just plows right through the middle and then turn around and swipe the two little side trails and its done. I just don't know if a 272/vts will have that kind of shear power. I don't want to go back to niping away at the edges of a pile.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2010, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I just wish I could run one before I had to go out on a limb. I want something that pushes like a little d4 dozer. My ct332 is just a hoss when its at wot it just pushes and pushes. It will blow down a 15 yard pile of clay in one pass. It just plows right through the middle and then turn around and swipe the two little side trails and its done. I just don't know if a 272/vts will have that kind of shear power. I don't want to go back to niping away at the edges of a pile.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you are going to treat it as a dozer, a CTL would be a better choice.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why do you say that? Because it has more power to push or because you believe it will take more abuse from strenuous work?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2010, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Why do you say that? Because it has more power to push or because you believe it will take more abuse from strenuous work?
Posted via Mobile Device
Try a Takeuchi TL250, you are already used to a roll up front window.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 01-30-2010, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I like the VTS but if you are doing hard pushing for the most part the CTL will be able to handle the abuse better long term. I'd say anything in the Tak line would be good.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Naaa it will be a cat. The cat dealer is just on top of things. Tak doesn't have much of a presents and I also want the refined cab of the cat. The thing is I also do snow in the winter and a 272 would be ideal for that, a 299 not so much.... And I think I can be into a 272 with vts for 35k. A 299 is gonna be anywhere from 45 to 52
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2010, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Lowering the final drive ratio is torque multiplication. I will have to find the brochure I have to remember but it was a package offered to use directly with the VTS. And yes I may have added one too many gear reductions but the VTS does lower the final drive ratio. I have run several with the Amics crap also and from running many machine's without I didn't like it. I would rather listen to the head and compensate myself. It would be cool to hear from some running it that use it and how.
And yes the unit I ran with radial lift was a 256c, but it has the 85h.p. engine and with the VTS it was more stable and it ran our DAF-500 pretty darn good.
But that is a built a dealer has to do and you just don't see many. Plus with the price of the VTS system new it runs close to a tracked machine and that is the usual direction dealers go. They love the new 9 series machine's.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCsouth View Post
Lowering the final drive ratio is torque multiplication. I will have to find the brochure I have to remember but it was a package offered to use directly with the VTS. And yes I may have added one too many gear reductions but the VTS does lower the final drive ratio. I have run several with the Amics crap also and from running many machine's without I didn't like it. I would rather listen to the head and compensate myself. It would be cool to hear from some running it that use it and how.
And yes the unit I ran with radial lift was a 256c, but it has the 85h.p. engine and with the VTS it was more stable and it ran our DAF-500 pretty darn good.
But that is a built a dealer has to do and you just don't see many. Plus with the price of the VTS system new it runs close to a tracked machine and that is the usual direction dealers go. They love the new 9 series machine's.
I don't remember the AMICS affecting any of the hydraulics to the cutting head. Amics affected travel speed and boom lift/roll back speed. There was an issue with early C series machines where high flow would temporarily kick off when the machine was moving...yes, I know, very dumb for guys that need to mulch.
I liked the AMICS because you could dial in a good speed and not be jerky while putting all the power to the ground and maximizing the head by not moving so much.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Naaa it will be a cat. The cat dealer is just on top of things. Tak doesn't have much of a presents and I also want the refined cab of the cat. The thing is I also do snow in the winter and a 272 would be ideal for that, a 299 not so much.... And I think I can be into a 272 with vts for 35k. A 299 is gonna be anywhere from 45 to 52
Posted via Mobile Device

I would say this. Deere and CASE have very similiar ideas about building power. They believe in higher torque machines. Coming from a CASE I was very disappointed in CAT when I ran one. It would take relearning how to run the machine compared to how I operate mine. Because the brute power I was used to, is not present in the CAT. I think you would likely find the same to be true. The 272C has about 217 foot pounds. Your Deere has 254 foot pounds. CAT uses some smoke and mirrors to camo its weak powerplant but if you come from a machine that makes power like you do, there is no disguising the weakness of the CAT machines. I would demo a CAT 272 with wheels. It wont be exactly the same when you put the VTS on it but it will give you an idea what it can do.

I can see that you taken with your CAT dealer. I would only offer a small bit of advice and that is to perhaps let the machine first convince you of what you buy and not a cool salesman. Thats not going to put money in bank day in and day out. Not saying that support is not important, cause it is, but the machines abilities are what will make you profitable.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.