Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2009, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't spend $$$ just to think you need to.
With 12 - 20 accounts you have all you need already outside of a trailer.
Get a good used 14' open trailer for 1g or less and be set for 2 years.
Then start thinking long term investment needs when your customer base
grows. No need for over head @ this point imho
Old 11-29-2009, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey randy, been there done that. Key is storage and anti theft. If you dont have a place to put your equip. Then enclosed is your only option. Theft is rampant in this industry. I lost a thousand dollars in equipment while i went into a wawa for a sandwich one day. Yup. Protect your hard earned money. Dont let someone walk away with it.
Next...a 54" rider/zturn is next. Go used and keep a few thousand of that money in liquid for the rainy days you will have. Protect your assets and keep some cash ready. Other than that....go to work and learn! Dont take any crap from the bigger guys, they all started where you are. Do good work and next year see what you dont need vs. What you know you need, o.k.
All the best. Stu.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditch the rider. They wont last and they kill you on maneuvering time. Get a walk behind PREFERABLY a hydro drive.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Stu I appreciate it.

Randy
Old 11-29-2009, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helidriver View Post
Hey randy, been there done that. Key is storage and anti theft. If you dont have a place to put your equip. Then enclosed is your only option. Theft is rampant in this industry. I lost a thousand dollars in equipment while i went into a wawa for a sandwich one day. Yup. Protect your hard earned money. Dont let someone walk away with it.
Next...a 54" rider/zturn is next. Go used and keep a few thousand of that money in liquid for the rainy days you will have. Protect your assets and keep some cash ready. Other than that....go to work and learn! Dont take any crap from the bigger guys, they all started where you are. Do good work and next year see what you dont need vs. What you know you need, o.k.
All the best. Stu.
I know your pain. I recently lost a blower while in a wawa too. I may have not lost thousands and it might have only been a crappy craphsman blower, but it was only in the wawa for about 5 minutes.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Services View Post
whatever mower you do end up purchasing, if it is belt driven, make sure you keep at least one replacement belt of each one onboard with you in the truck or on the trailer. If one breaks in the field and you have to either go home or to a repair shop, its buying time you could be working. Also, keep an extra spool of trimmer line with you. Goes quick when you slam concrete retaining walls by accident.
i have never ever had a drive belt snap and run them till they have deep cuts in them.

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 11-30-2009, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

a walkbehind will be 2-3x faster than your riding lawn tractor and a ZTR will be 2x as fast as the walkbehind. if your think you'll have the work, spend alot of time looking for a sweet deal on craigslist. there are alot of people dumping great mowers on there. as far as a brand, find a good dealer close by and try to get a brand they sell. a good dealer is more important than brand IMO. when it breaks down, you'll need it fixed quick

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 11-30-2009, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

yo jeff where you located.....I think wawa should give me a free lunch once a week for life over that one man...hahahahaa.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Hahahah....yeah, helping you out is a favor.....favors need returned and usually at the damndest times. hahaha

Tags
equipment , mower , new business , start up