Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2009, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tell her your dog chewed off your big toes a few nights ago after you fell asleep very drunk. Your in a lot of pain right now and she should call someone else.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Crazy lady...

arent they all???
Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 AM

I wouldn't have went to the door in the first place with it looking like you described it
You could tell her that it will cost X amount of dollars and that buys her a certain amount of time. Set a time limit on the job. Tell her that the more time the more $$. Give her that in writing
Old 11-22-2009, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wouldn't have went to the door in the first place with it looking like you described it
You could tell her that it will cost X amount of dollars and that buys her a certain amount of time. Set a time limit on the job. Tell her that the more time the more $$. Give her that in writing
but Charles, all these guys would rather be dishonest and lie to the lady and then rip her off on the job if they get it.

I mean, look at this example this guy wrote! How professional can one be? Wait, I'm sorry, how UNprofessional can one be?

"Tell her your dog chewed off your big toes a few nights ago after you fell asleep very drunk. Your in a lot of pain right now and she should call someone else. "
Old 11-22-2009, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Omg...

Why didn't you just quote the lady a normal price for what she asked you to do?

Do auto mechanics turn me away because my car is 20 years old?
And what if it's falling apart and all I want them to do is change the oil?
Same thing...

It would be a whole different story if she was too cheap to pay a normal price,
but the fact she has leaves that may have not been cleaned in a long time
doesn't make her cheap, not in and of itself.
And maybe she's lazy lol, but that's not my problem, if anything maybe that's why she called, but who knows, who cares?

Some of those customers are the best ones to work for, don't have to worry about all them high expectations.
Sure it won't look like a Class A+ immaculately perfect yard afterward, but then I figure she probably knows that,
so on jobs like these all I do is what they ask of me.

As I like to say, if someone can be dumb enough to ask me to do something, then I can be stupid enough to do the work.
So who cares, just quote the price for the labor, do the work and get paid.
You are correct, I did need the head knock for what I posted. More detail might have kept me from looking like a putz. Problem was, she complained about the price of everything from the 1st talk. Didn't want wheeled equipment on her yard, had about a 300' one lane drive,and did not want the truck or trailer blocking it, or the garage. She was worried about the power equipment noise making her dogs crazy. There was a rock retaining wall across 2/3's of the lot that was, leaning, and falling down and I knew that removing the growth would likely cause it to collapse. She told me I'd be responsible to repair it if it fell down, not expecting to pay for it. Just way to much liability for the reward. I planned on a two day job just because of the repeated trips to dump the trash. We're talking a big area of overgrown brush about 300' across and about 100' into the forest. Requiring tarping the trash over the wall, through a 3' gate and 300' down a steep grade to the trailer at the street. I should have said that due to the extera work is why I increased the price over norm. When I went back, she repeated several times, "as long as you remove what ever is making my dogs sick". I told her everytime that I had no way to know what or why her dog's were getting sick and would only remove what she directed me to. That was unacceptable per her, wanted me to make sure to remove the offending plants. I tried several times to tell her that I did not want to do the work, probably what she heard from anyone else she called.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

lay it out for her in a letter that you don't believe you are capable of doing the work with her specifications, and if she wants you to do the work, she well have to sign a "no liability contract" that should wake her up, but seriously i think you are asking for trouble with this one, we had a customer like this last year, never again.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This sounds like a client not worth working for. Between her adding to the task as you go and what seems like an unstable mind, you have to wonder when you get through doing exactly what you agreed to do, if she won't tack on something else for you to do before she will pay you... if at all.

This has happened to me several times... "great job, but oh by the way, take out my trash." "No problem ma'm, just as soon as you pay me for THIS job, we can talk about the trash..." "Oh no, I couldn't possibly write the check until after you take out the trash..." AHHHHH!!!!

I turn these people down by simply saying that I appreciate the opportunity to bid the job but that I don't think I'll be able to complete it to her satisfaction and then refer another company.

In the long run, these people cost you money and a lot of grief.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you do take the job. Get the payment in advance before you start the cleanup.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

She is a divorced marriage counselor. She's just kidding herself and she knows it. Trying to find value in life, by "gettin' over on the system"...
Your doing the job her way, but making it look sharp, as some of the leaves are left behind, will give her a good reality check.

If you don't get paid, then walk away and chalk it up to advertising, but when you turn down work - you better make sure you have enough.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a crazy lady try to refuse paying me because she thought I didn't cut the grass. She said "there's no way you could have done the whole yard that fast." I had cut it at 3" and it looked great. Then she shorted me $10 and I didn't catch it until I got to the truck. She actually called me the next week to ask why I hadn't been out yet...

She was a pita too. She'd park her car in the yard and ask me to move it for her, she had little plastic squirrels and crap all over the yard, and she'd sit in the window and watch me...then come running out while I was working to make sure I was going to blow off the driveway or get the leaves off of the window sill. "MA'AM, I'm STILL CUTTING"!