Register free!

Old 11-22-2009, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick's Neat Landscaping View Post
Yeah so today i was at Home Depot And the garden center was closted so i asked this guy (Who worked there) If there was any Virgo Fertilizer(because its usually cheaper by like $20) and hes like"Nope, only what you see here then went on about saying there wont be any fertilizer here next year. I asked why.. He said "cost too much to ship!" Im like WOW thats crazy!

PS only use the fertilizer for my home thats why i buy it from home depot...
I would say this is BS. Typical 40 lb fertilizer cost $30-40. What about those 40 lb bags of dirt selling for $1.8 or 40 lb concrete landscape blocks or sand bags selling for $4. Lots of heavy low cost items at HD.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredd View Post
I would say this is BS. Typical 40 lb fertilizer cost $30-40. What about those 40 lb bags of dirt selling for $1.8 or 40 lb concrete landscape blocks or sand bags selling for $4. Lots of heavy low cost items at HD.
I'm glad you pointed that out....

Or those 80 lb bags of cement and concrete for $10?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When Home Depot stops carrying fertilizers, they will stop carrying hammers and nails, too.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
When Home Depot stops carrying fertilizers, they will stop carrying hammers and nails, too.
Haha thats what im worried about! But also i think it does Cost MORE to ship, due to all the environmental $hit going around thats just my 2 cents.
We hate stick edgers we use whips
hedge trimmers
ryobi backpack blower (retired)
Echo PB 500 i think!
Red max Backpack Blower
16' trailer
JD Quik trac (stander)
Lazer Next year!!!!
Toro rider
2008 GMC Kodiak
2003 F350 Dump Body
Isuzu W/ dump JOKE-Plowing
Many more things........
Old 11-23-2009, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick's Neat Landscaping View Post
Haha thats what im worried about! But also i think it does Cost MORE to ship, due to all the environmental $hit going around thats just my 2 cents.
Lots more toxic substances in HD than fertilizer, such as pesticides, herbicides, paint solvents and propane gas. Also lots of profit in fertilizer, from the producers on down to retailers. Just got a $9 rebate on a $38 Winterizer bag at Ace Hardware. They offer rebates mostly on high margin items.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmmm, I wish it was true, but I doubt it.

I heard from one of my suppliers that HD and a bunch of the other chains had lost their shirts on fert this yr. I guess they locked in orders, or outright purchased orders when fert prices were very high last yr. Then they either couldn't move product, or had to sell it at a loss this yr. Don't know if it is true, but it makes sense. Look at how volatile fert prices have been the last 2 yrs.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 11-23-2009, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not happening here. Wish it did. For one thing, HD sells the wrong kind of fertilizer for most lawns here. What is needed is a low chloride, high potassium fertilizer with a very low SGN. You cannot broadcast granules the size of buckshot on a lawn cut at putting green height and expect them to work. Most homeowners do not even know what they are applying or why. My business is not hurt by homeowners and "landscapers" who use HD fertilizers. I get the clientele that expects better than HD results.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-23-2009, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
My business is not hurt by homeowners and "landscapers" who use HD fertilizers. I get the clientele that expects better than HD results.
My buisness is definitly not "hurt" by DIY homeowners...but it sure would help if they were on my to do schedule.

The stats that I seen of DIY lawn health were crazy and would help all our bottom lines!

And not from the finanical view...but from a responsibility/environment , I just don't think homeowners should be able to handle fert and herbs.

Most of them just plum don't have a clue and don't know what to apply and then when they do, MORE IS BETTER!!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
Actually it does cost more to ship fert than anything else. Fert is a low value/high density product that COSTS more to ship vrs just about anything in the store when relating to profit margin. Not saying that what he heard is right by any means......
Having a background in big box retailing management I have to say that it does sometimes cost more to **** fert than other stuff. You must remember that these larger companies get checked for infractions more often than any other retailer.
You must remember that fertilizer depending on the state it is being shipped through could be classified as hazardous material. However concrete is not considered hazardous.

With all that being said - I can tell you that they will not likely not be selling fert. To high of a MU for them. They usually make somewhere between 25% and 40% on fertilizer. Then you have spreaders and other cross merchandise items that they make similar profit on. Even if they have to ship it on a different truck than their regular delivery, I can guarantee you the will find a way to get it into the store and through the registers.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
My buisness is definitly not "hurt" by DIY homeowners...but it sure would help if they were on my to do schedule.

The stats that I seen of DIY lawn health were crazy and would help all our bottom lines!

And not from the finanical view...but from a responsibility/environment , I just don't think homeowners should be able to handle fert and herbs.

Most of them just plum don't have a clue and don't know what to apply and then when they do, MORE IS BETTER!!!!
You are correct in thinking that there is a large chunk of change spent every year by homeowners on fertilizer. As far as them knowing what to apply, NO IDEA, most of them just know that the first number (N) will green. Most of them have no idea what P is let alone what a Micro is. They see the Scotts commercial in the spring, and they know that is there cue to got dump some chemicals on their lawn.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!