Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2009, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Totally agree.

And I don't think it is becasue the homeowner is stupid...it is just is because they don't have a clue of what they are doing or know how to use the products!

I have said for several years on here that no fert or herbs should be sold at the retail level!

I don't think it us (LCO's) trying to make what we do sound complicated...but atleast we are licensed and knowlegable about what we are using and understand and know how to use our products.

If you asked most homeowners how much they applied they would say they used x amount of bags. But they probably don't even know their lot size...so how do they know if they applied it correctly???

I have seen this many times when taking over the DIY lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS View Post
i wish they would ban homeowners doing any kind of chemical applications.
we had a location get wrote up by the state for doing fertilize applications where the fertilizer had weed-preventer in it , and the home owner purchased the product and ask the guys to apply it " i feel it was a setup " (noteing they are allowed to fert regular granular's.and they also applied by the lable)
* We recorded a home owner sitting on their back portch with a 1 gallon tank that was leaking he was trying to melt teh tip because it "was leaking" and he sprayed a 5' spot 15 time trying to get it to stop then he catches the tip on fire and so he pours out the chemical on the ground and runs ........flash its a fuel yes a fuel .

not even a DUMB LCO would do this .i feel homeowners should have to be the ones certified !!!!!!
and the best one i seen personally LAst year a lady ask us to remove a yuka plant and we scheduled to do it the next visit , as we mow she comes out breaks off the plant and pours an entire quart ( small bottles at wal-mart) on the root ball and says " you dont need to worry about it now .....i was like WTF i read the bottle it was not designed for the task and over the next month her whole front area dies 30' area and
then ask us why lol "Laughing " i tell her it was the tuf killer she used she replyed well it killed it and it dint cost half as much as your estimate . THis year , it CAME BACK HAHAHAHA i cant help it sorry hehe
Old 11-29-2009, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i love trying to convence a homeowner i only need 3 bags of fert to make their lawn size work out right and they reply i use 6 bags and sometimes it looks brown for a moth even then. i had 1 guy last year call and say he put out 2 50 lbs bags on his 9k lawn of 15-15-15 because it only had 1.5 lbs of nitrogen per bag . this was a good laugh and i bet you know the result of his application
Old 12-04-2009, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Totally agree.

And I don't think it is becasue the homeowner is stupid...it is just is because they don't have a clue of what they are doing or know how to use the products!

I have said for several years on here that no fert or herbs should be sold at the retail level!

I don't think it us (LCO's) trying to make what we do sound complicated...but atleast we are licensed and knowlegable about what we are using and understand and know how to use our products.

That being said I believe the re-certification in many states is questionable. I would like to see the test harder and the enforcement stricter. I have been in suppliers shop when a "Certified Applicator" asks a question that I literally cannot believe came out of their mouth.

If you asked most homeowners how much they applied they would say they used x amount of bags. But they probably don't even know their lot size...so how do they know if they applied it correctly???

I have seen this many times when taking over the DIY lawn.
Anytime we can raise the bar and professionalism and weed out the slackers and pretenders I think that is a positive for the industry.

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscotrid View Post
Anytime we can raise the bar and professionalism and weed out the slackers and pretenders I think that is a positive for the industry.
Hear ya there!

I myself have a friend in the business and he has applied for several years and he knows very little about lawn care!

It frustrates me...but atleast he is legal!
Old 12-05-2009, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i see all kinds of stupid homeowners, applying pesticides in shorts and no shoes, nothing says idiot more than not reading instructions first!!!!!! i think you should be certified to handle all pesticides, no homeowners allowed for safety reasons at least
Old 12-05-2009, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i see all kinds of stupid homeowners, applying pesticides in shorts and no shoes, nothing says idiot more than not reading instructions first!!!!!! i think you should be certified to handle all pesticides, no homeowners allowed for safety reasons at least
Make anyone that wants to spray their own property become certified as a private applicator. Then the DOA can investigate their handling, application and storage of materials. I see some bad stuff here. My favorite is homeowners spraying their shrubs and trees with what is obviously some kind of organophosphate. Shorts, no shirt, shoes? what are those, through a hose end sprayer dripping stuff all over. thatshitlkillya. We recently went through two weeks of 30 MPH winds here, I bagged all spray jobs. But what did I see, a homeowner applying something to his lawn by waving a wand over it. If the wind is so strong that it is going to blow me to the next island, I am not spraying. It is too bad there is not a DOA inspector driving around when you need one.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 12-05-2009, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i completely agree greendoctor. why is it not regluated for them as much as us? the only reason is $$$$$$$. the companies can make more by selling it in chain stores and the gov is getting the taxes from that. very sad
Old 12-05-2009, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
The Home Depot dude is probably just a moron...but I hope he is right about them not carrying fert. I also hope that Walmart and nobody else does so homeowners will depend on us more since very few know what they are doing anyway.
Right on, right on!! Let the populous depend on us. Money! Money! Money!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

the only thing we spray is grass/weedkiller in non turf applications and this just got easier to do in tn for company's have no major testing now involed at all ( just wonder how many new guys will kill this good thing)
Old 12-05-2009, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post

But on the flip side I just saw a large LCO up here spraying and applying gran in shorts and a tank top 2 weeks ago. Plus to add they did the complete yard and they have 3 dogs...So I agree, "nothing says idiot more than not reading instructions first!!!!!"

I see clowns on both sides llicensed or not. Then again everone thinks they are right. LMAO..