Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2000, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm looking to purchase a laser level but am not sure what to buy. I work by myself a lot, so the old sight level and rod just aren't too practical any more.<p>I was looking at either the kind that shoots a red laser light out or the kind that uses the 'beeping' and lcd readout with up/down arrows on a rod. Which do you guys use. I've used the 'beepers' before, but was thinking about the red light that shoots 360 degrees, and just look for the mark on the stick. Does this work? and if it does, does it work outside with full sun? I've seen the red lines for use inside homes, but at larger distances the line/dot is like a inch thick, not too accurate then.<p>I wouldn't need much more than a 75 ft range for most jobs. Any more, I would just relocate setup.<p>Any suggestions appreciated. I'd like to stay around the 600 range, but will spend more if I need too. I know prices have really come down on them, so maybe there are some cheaper models out there now.<p>steveair<br>
Old 04-29-2000, 07:05 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Steveair, the cost of a 75 footer and one that has a range of 1000 feet is only about $300. If it was me buying 1 I would look for 1 that also has grades or slopes that can be programmed in. Our last slope laser cost us just under $1500 including tripod. Visible beam lasers don't have the accuracy and in bright sunlight they can be very hard to use. The beeper type always work, plus when you get to the point where you want to add 1 to your machines the visible beam ones will be obsolete. You probably don't need a multiple slope laser which run about $4000 or more. When you buy your laser also look into a &quot;Lennker&quot; rod this rod is a direct reading rod help in checking elevation quickly.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 04-29-2000, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello, <p>Are you using self-leveling or manual. I don't really use it all the time, so I would have no problem with leveling it out myself. I'm sure its a great convenience, but is it worth the extra money for someone not using it as much.<p>Just to explain my situation, I do mainly walks and patios. I know some of u will say just do the old string line, but I hate string lines, and well, was trained using levels so I use levels. I just like the security the level has to offer and always feel they do a better job. <p>steveair
Old 04-29-2000, 07:42 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Get the self-leveling ones also stay away from the metal tripods they heat up in the sun and can throw off a manual leveling one (and also some self-leveling ones too). Self-leveling ones will shut off if bumped off level (out of adjustment range) but a manual one will still run and give you the wrong reading. Cost for self-leveling is only a few $ more get it.<p>----------<br>paul<br>