Register free!

Old 04-23-2000, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone building "Keystone" walls in North Jersey? I would like to know what an average price per square foot would be.
Old 04-23-2000, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

KEYSTONE IS NOT CHEAP...LOTS OF FACTORS FOR FIGURING PRICE....IS THERE GRADING, HOW IS DRAINAGE,HOW FAR FROM THE TRUCK IS THE WORK. ONE WORD OF ADVICE TRY ANELLO FENCE ON 23 THEY WILL SPECIAL ORDER YOU BLOCK AND ARE MUCH ,MUCH CHEAPER THAN EVERYONE ELSE..ALSO A GOOD SOURCE FOR PAVERS...FIGURE 10-18 PER SQ. FT. INSTALLED....NEED HELP..E-MAIL ME I LOVE WALLS THEY ARE FUN(AT LEAST DIFFERENT THAN PAVERS).
Old 04-24-2000, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello, <p>where at in New jersey?<p>If you are up north, I can give you a load of sources. We have the Grinnel factory and the Concrete stone and tile factory right next door to me in sussex county. Also, I believe Anchor has a factory down around N. central jersey (lopatcong I believe or there about). Also, lot of nursery garden center sell block, along with stone yards. Lots of suppliers, but don't know where you are so don't know if you can use any.<p>steveair
Old 04-25-2000, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't speak for what will fly in your market, but here's how I go about pricing a retaining wall:<p>1 price is per square (face) foot for the base course. This should be about double the price for the additional courses - there's 10x the work getting this course in.<p>I charge another $50 for every step up in block.<p>I have a price per square (face) foot for each additional course.<p>I have another price per lineal feet of cap block.<p>If there's going to be a lot of cutting and splitting, I add that to the price.<p>If the wall is tall enough to need geogrid, I add that in as well. Grid isn't cheap.<p>On average, the total price per sqft is $15-25/sqft, depending on wall size and height.<p>Hope this helps!
Old 04-25-2000, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, wall must be cheap where you are. I spend up to $11/face ft for wall. I generally charge about $40/face ft for low walls, lots more for walls above 3 feet high. I suppose you can only charge as much as the market will bear but make sure that you are getting everything you can.
Old 04-25-2000, 11:56 PM
Lawnsite Addict

I really think the speed base machine would lower your cost. It would also improve your production times. This will allow you to install walls cheaper and faster and better. I feel it cuts our production time in half and makes it easier for our men to construct better walls. <p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 04-26-2000, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Paul,<br>What is a speed base machine? Can I rent one of these?
Old 04-28-2000, 08:43 PM
Lawnsite Addict

you have to buy the base maker. Cost of the speed base is about $2000 plus a laser level cost about $1000. I know it seems alike a lot. Sorry about taking so long a reply to this but I have been upgrading my system and modems.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 04-29-2000, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

About the speed base machine.<p>I do a lot of walls, but it seems like a lot of them step up with grade. Would the speed base machine be of any help then?<p>I'm sure on straigt grade runs it helps cut time down tremendously, but most of my walls never have spans of over 15 ft before a step.<br>I would love to try one though.<p>steveair
Old 04-29-2000, 07:54 PM
Lawnsite Addict

yes it would because the next step is only six inches you have 12&quot; of adjustment just raise the plate up 6&quot; and ready for next course. We use it on runs as short as 10'. you can use it on runs as short as 6 feet but it really comes into its own with runs 20 feet or more. We also use it when we make parks and amphitheaters.<p>----------<br>paul<br>