Register free!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What a nightmare - utility company tearing up MY lawn!

Guys,

Talking my OWN lawn here - absolute nightmare.
Just topdressed and overseeded my front lawn this fall, to where next season she would be lookin good.

THEN, come to rudely find out that, due to the new home being built across the street from me, the gas utility will have to run a line from the house UNDER the street and 10 feet into my yard. I was so ticked about that, after I put $$ and sweat equity into the lawn this fall. Unfortunately, no way around it, utility company says I could get fined for 'obstructing' their work if I don't let them run the line. Good grief.....

At any rate, as any utility will do, they will tear the heck out of my lawn and leave a rock-laden dirt pile behind. What do you guys propose I do with that mess yet this fall? Should I level it and dormant seed so I will have something early next spring? Or just rake up as good as possible and re-sod next spring?

The utility company WILL re-seed the torn up area for me BUT you know what that means (throw some cheap seed on the dirt from Home Depot or something). So, I will probably be footing the bill myself because I am picky about the products used to restore my lawn.

Any thoughts.....?
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-25-2009, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dig the hole yourself. Use a sod cutter to remove the sod. Rent a mini ex, put the dirt in your dump trailer. When they're done cover it back up and replace the sod.

Should be relatively simple for a landscape contractor.

Lay down 3/4 ply around the trench for them to work on.

Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Once upon a time, there was a lonely oxygen atom. The oxygen atom met two little hydrogen atoms, and suggested they try a threesome. They did, and everybody got wet. The end.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Guys,

Just topdressed and overseeded my front lawn this fall, to where next season she would be lookin good.

THEN, come to rudely find out that, due to the new home being built across the street from me, the gas utility will have to run a line from the house UNDER the street and 10 feet into my yard. I was so ticked about that, after I put $$ and sweat equity into the lawn this fall. Unfortunately, no way around it, utility company says I could get fined for 'obstructing' their work if I don't let them run the line. Good grief.....

At any rate, as any utility will do, they will tear the heck out of my lawn and leave a rock-laden dirt pile behind. What do you guys propose I do with that mess yet this fall? Should I level it and dormant seed so I will have something early next spring? Or just rake up as good as possible and re-sod next spring?

The utility company WILL re-seed the torn up area for me BUT you know what that means (throw some cheap seed on the dirt from Home Depot or something). So, I will probably be footing the bill myself because I am picky about the products used to restore my lawn.

Any thoughts.....?
in my area, they do a good job cleaning up after themselves. New topsoil and seed. Just give them the seed you want to use. Not much of a problem here.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 11-25-2009, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

same thing by me, they leave a big mess, i replace a 20ft by 150 ft section in my backyard a few years ago, last year the gas company came to replace a line in the street behind my house, well they tore up everything, parked their equipment on our yard and even dumped gravel and sand on it to. called the town and they wouldn't do nothing cause their is an easement
Old 11-25-2009, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only do as well as they do because of - courtesy. That is not your property when a utility runs through it.
How many feet from the center of the road does the state own, in your state?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say just let them do their thing. Like Hanau said, cut out the sod where they are going to dig and replace it when their done. I wouldn't go as far as digging the hole and all of that nonsense but I would at least cut the sod out. You also might want to contact the county you live in because around here they sub out all of the soil work and seeding to a LCO, they might give you some cash if you tell them you will fix they mess yourself (it save them from sending another crew out).
Old 11-25-2009, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danscapes View Post
I say just let them do their thing. Like Hanau said, cut out the sod where they are going to dig and replace it when their done. I wouldn't go as far as digging the hole and all of that nonsense but I would at least cut the sod out. You also might want to contact the county you live in because around here they sub out all of the soil work and seeding to a LCO, they might give you some cash if you tell them you will fix they mess yourself (it save them from sending another crew out).
Good thoughts guys. I agree I won't be digging the hole, I don't want to get another earful from these jokers. I could cut the sod out though, would take me like 15 minutes and I would get to keep my sod. QUESTION - since it is like almost December here, the sod probably will not take again anyway, right? (it HAS been a warmer than normal November). So, whats the use of saving the sod if it won't make it thru the winter??

Also, these utilities are A JOKE - running a gas line 15 feet from your front window thru your lawn. Put the dang thing on public property for peats sake.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-25-2009, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Guys,

Any thoughts.....?
Take a picture blow it up to 8 by 10, attach it to a letter informing them that this is what you want your lawn to look like when they are done. Give the PIC ( Person In Charge ) a copy and send a copy to thier higher ups. You have a resonable expectation that your life will not be disrupted to make anothers better. Make a point of that.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

my experience in doing this type of work I will say the peoples yards that are good to work with and get along with get a great job done, the people that want to be a-holes about get it done. Work with them and you will get it back in shape, screw with them and you will be on hear fussing more.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Good thoughts guys. I agree I won't be digging the hole, I don't want to get another earful from these jokers. I could cut the sod out though, would take me like 15 minutes and I would get to keep my sod. QUESTION - since it is like almost December here, the sod probably will not take again anyway, right? (it HAS been a warmer than normal November). So, whats the use of saving the sod if it won't make it thru the winter??

At least try to cut and save the sod. After they are done re-lay. If it dies it will be at the minimum ground cover and help to blend the yard together for the winter months so you don't have an open sore in the lawn.(it will all be brown anyways)

In the spring, overseed over the sod and you'll be good to go.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.