Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2009, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets talk boots...

I've had issues with boots for the last couple years. For a while I was twisted I was spending $100 bucks on nike's for when im not working and trying to find the cheapest pair of boots for when I am working. After I finally got myself to switch that bad habit and started buying better boots I found so far they were no better quality then my cheap wal-mart boots I had been buying.

A little over a year ago I bought two pairs of Timberland boots...they were on sale. I got them for $70 each so $140.00 for the two sets. The first set lasted close to 6 months after that I couldn't bare with the smell of them. They got wet during a period of time in which we had rain every other day so we worked in wet conditions for weeks. The boots never stopped smelling even long after they dried. I tried all different sprays and inserts...none killed the "wet boot" smell.

So I chucked them knowing I had another set on standby. All was well until two weeks ago when we started to have a wet spell of rain every couple of days then a week of solid rain. So we've been working in soupy wet lawns for two weeks now and these boots are smelling way worse then the first set. Is it just Timberland boots that do this?

Anyone else have this issue?

Is it possible to keep a pair of work boots longer than a year? I've heard that there are a couple brands that have lifetime guarantee on the soles? that they actually screw in and out and they will send you a pair if they wear out?

Both pair's of timberlands that I bought had the soles fall off within a couple months. The current pair are "gorilla glued" on right now.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Red Wing...............You pay more for them but it is WELL worth it!
Old 11-25-2009, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ght=work+boots
Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I was buying HiTec light hikers (about $80). Very comfy but they would wear out at about 4 months. My wife talked me into buying a good set of Red Wings. I paid $160 for the. At first I hated them but after about 2 months they are finally getting comfortable. They are very waterproof though. So, bottom line, we'll see how they hold up. If it doesn't add up to the price of a couple pairs of HiTec's, I'll probably switch back.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hands down Redwing boots are arguably the most comfortable and longest-lasting on the market.

Whatever you do, make sure you get boots with Gore-Tex. Gore-Tex is a bootie inside your boot that allows your foot to breathe while not allowing water through. I can literally stand in water all day for 12 hours and my feet will be 100% dry. My boots smell a little, but I've had them over a year. They're bearable, but any boot is going to have a bit of a stench.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Wesco for climbing and serious work; they make redwing and danner look like silver series from walmart. I have two pair of highliners, my 16" pair has thousands of poles on them and still look great. Both pair of redwings I purchased took months to break in and didn't last long. Other than Wesco, my choice would be Justin Boot Co.

Keen for lighter tasks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by B Gillespie; 11-25-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wolverine is what I've been using for the last several years.
I buy 2 pair at a time and rotate them every day. It works out good for me. Tony
btw-I used to wear Red Wing and agree they are excellent boots but, expensive.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Timberlands Suck. Hands down. Highly expensive and not built worth a darn.

I can't wear Red-wings, too large for my foot.

If you want the best boot, look into high quality hikers. I use Asolo's and are the only shoe I've found to last more than 6 months, gives me the stability and protection I need, and I've almost eliminated foot fatigue from the days work.

Merrel, (Wolverine), Asolo's, Vasque (red wing), Nike ACG's, and a handful of other hikers will work well and hold up. They are made to be walked on constantly unlike most work-boots for the construction industry.

Check out REI's website. http://www.rei.com/category/4500006

I always buy the gortex boots with the mesh uppers to help them breath. Their more comfortable than full leather boots, last as long as the soles, and my feet are dry and happy everyday.

I swear all general workboots are tested on Gov't employees, or union members.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I like Merrell moabs with gortex as they are lightweight, grippy, water resistant, and seem to be well made. Around $100 and up new. I have a full season on my current pair and they are probably going to need replacing by spring. I was using Hi Techs before and these are better and last a little longer.

I cannot wear steel toed anything as they are too hot and heavy and I have decided I'm more likely to get injured tripping due to fatigue and the weight than I am shoving a foot into a blade on a mulching kit equipped mower which is what I use 75% of the time. Plus I use ZTR's for the other yards most of the time.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

The only problem I've encountered with Timberlands is the soles are too soft to withstand stomping on a shovel without getting torn up.

For rainy days, I used to keep a pile of old sneakers so I'd always have a dry pair to put on - not as good as wearing boots, but who the hell can afford to keep 4 or 5 pairs of expensive work boots laying around?