Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2009, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Too Late To Aerate ???

A maintenance client that I have requested an aerate, 3 days ago.

We've had a mild November over all, but I feel the ground temps are getting too cold to actually utilize an aeration.

But, on the other side of the coin, this is a newer construction home and the lawn could use an aeration just for the compaction factor.

Any thoughts ???? I Just told my client that I would see if it is worth it or not. Ultimately I don't want to take his money for nothing.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I sold 3 this week. back in my chemlawn days we got a early snow they sent us out to aerate in 2 inches of snow little turds all over white snow!
Old 11-25-2009, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by a plus bob View Post
I sold 3 this week. back in my chemlawn days we got a early snow they sent us out to aerate in 2 inches of snow little turds all over white snow!
Yuck !!

I didn't know if there was any negatives to aerating now, but I really don't think so.

So what would you charge for 12,000 sq. aeration ?? I've never priced a yard this large before ? I'm thinking it would take me around 1 hour to walk it.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
A maintenance client that I have requested an aerate, 3 days ago.

We've had a mild November over all, but I feel the ground temps are getting too cold to actually utilize an aeration.

But, on the other side of the coin, this is a newer construction home and the lawn could use an aeration just for the compaction factor.

Any thoughts ???? I Just told my client that I would see if it is worth it or not. Ultimately I don't want to take his money for nothing.
You can aerate up to a hard freeze if you want to. The soil will move all winter and help loosen up for spring root growth. If you really want to see something impressive put down some fert after aeration. The first time I did this I was amazed at the spring green up. I was like 2 / 3 weeks earlier than my neighbors. The food was at root level right when the new spring roots needed it.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Yuck !!

I didn't know if there was any negatives to aerating now, but I really don't think so.

So what would you charge for 12,000 sq. aeration ?? I've never priced a yard this large before ? I'm thinking it would take me around 1 hour to walk it.
$150.00 in my area. Time more like 30-40 min
Old 11-25-2009, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by a plus bob View Post
$150.00 in my area. Time more like 30-40 min
That's about the ballpark I was thinking. Thanks

I'm giving myself an extra 20 minutes, I like to get every nook and cranny.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfcobob View Post
You can aerate up to a hard freeze if you want to. The soil will move all winter and help loosen up for spring root growth. If you really want to see something impressive put down some fert after aeration. The first time I did this I was amazed at the spring green up. I was like 2 / 3 weeks earlier than my neighbors. The food was at root level right when the new spring roots needed it.
Sounds like his original lawn applicator isn't apllicating anymore, or doing aerations.

The lawn didn't grow worth a squat this year. Thin, mowed too short, and brown when we've had a year that it should have looked great.

So, my first step is to go ahead and do a soil analysis. I've noticed one area of the landscaping that isn't doing so hot and I suspect there is a PH issue in the soil in this bed and in the lawn.

Ultimately I want to wait until I get the test results before I do any sort of fertilizer to know exactly what is going on.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For 12k of turf, I would add a pickup load of compost in a compacted recent construction site after aerating, to get that in the holes. Even better than fert. That will be your best long term help, no matter what the soil test says.

You are aware that the freezing and thawing is one of the best compaction reducing mechanisms out there , correct? For compaction issues I would have the client wait until after Memorial weekend, when 5 or 6 mowings have compacted the soil again.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On closely mown turf the risk of aerating too late in the season is winter dessication around the edges of the holes. I don't think you need to worry about it on a home lawn. If they have an irrigation system chances are it has already been winterized. That could be a problem if you don't know where things are.

I agree with turfcobob: take the opportunity to get some fertilizer down. If the site needs any phosphorus getting it down while holes are open is a good idea.

If they are going to aerate once a year doing so after Memorial Day seems like terrible timing to me.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What about aerating in the early spring, then fertilizing and dressing? I only ask because I'm doing some landscape renovation work for a client, and I'd like to get his yard, or what's left of it after I'm done, looking nice for the coming year.

I don't mean to hijack, but I thought I might get the answer here

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts