Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J & D Greens View Post
I am just going to have my oldest daughter design some hangers in a Quarter sheet format like she did for my snow clearing inserts I sent to my clients this year. I am lucky since she took two years of graphic arts/web design in college and has a good eye for it. She sets it up in as a word document and I will always have it handy to print off what I need to target the area I work in. I really am only targeting a 5 mile radius in my own neighborhood (right now I have 32 accounts and only 2 are not within the area) so I only want to print as I need them. That way if there is some thing that needs to be changed it can be done in its format. I don't see me doing more than 50 accounts as I want to remain solo for now. I still need to learn a lot about managing things before I consider taking on any workers.
I am not the most skilled person when it comes to designing things on a computer. But I will probably try over the winter. David while you want to stay close I actually want to do the opposite. When I live and where most of my accounts are, all within 1-2 miles from my house, the lawns are very small and it is more of a middle class neighborhood where people do not want to pay for quality work and there are alot of people who under bid my prices by over 75 percent. I want to target a few upper class neighborhoods that are about 10-15 minutes from my house so its not that far, plus I want to push for more design and install work rather than maintenance. This year comming up I also want to do a few more hardscapes too. I still want to increase my maintenance work though because that is a steady income. With in the next two years I also want to get my applicator license and add that side to my business. Farther down the road I want to branch into tree work and become a certified arborist and get educated in aquascapes and water features. But right now I think I am just going to focus on this paper I have due tomorrow. lol
Old 12-02-2010, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I understand what you are talking about with the class of customers you get close to home, but for me I want to work for them because I can relate to them well and not all of them are looking to get everything done cheap. Most of my clients just want someone they can depend on. I am lucky to have the client base I have, you will still have those wealthy people that don't want to pay for what it is worth. I have gotten to the point where when someone asks me for a quote and I say $30 per mow and they say they have a crew doing it for $20. I politely tell them they should stay with them cause there is no way I can match it and even cover my expenses
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I understand what you are talking about with the class of customers you get close to home, but for me I want to work for them because I can relate to them well and not all of them are looking to get everything done cheap. Most of my clients just want someone they can depend on. I am lucky to have the client base I have, you will still have those wealthy people that don't want to pay for what it is worth. I have gotten to the point where when someone asks me for a quote and I say $30 per mow and they say they have a crew doing it for $20. I politely tell them they should stay with them cause there is no way I can match it and even cover my expenses
Between this season and last on paper my number of accounts only went up a few but this year I serviced atleast 15 new accounts. Before last year I dropped a few PITA accounts and several dropped me because of price. My price was reasonable maybe even a little on the low side but once someone underbidded me I was done. Not everyone but alot of he people anear me do not care about quality or dependbility they just want the grass cut and who ever can do it for the cheapest price will get the job. They have no loyalty and if a service said I only mow, I do not trim, edge or blow anything off but I can do it for 10 less than your current guy many of the ones who dropped me because of price would signup right away. Non of my customers now are like this so i guess it was almost a good thing to get ride of the PITA and cheap clients.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffslawnservice View Post
Between this season and last on paper my number of accounts only went up a few but this year I serviced atleast 15 new accounts. Before last year I dropped a few PITA accounts and several dropped me because of price. My price was reasonable maybe even a little on the low side but once someone underbidded me I was done. Not everyone but alot of he people anear me do not care about quality or dependbility they just want the grass cut and who ever can do it for the cheapest price will get the job. They have no loyalty and if a service said I only mow, I do not trim, edge or blow anything off but I can do it for 10 less than your current guy many of the ones who dropped me because of price would signup right away. Non of my customers now are like this so i guess it was almost a good thing to get ride of the PITA and cheap clients.
I can relate, but you are far better off letting go of those clients and trading up to ones that will take care of you. The cheap ones are like the commercial accounts that get someone cheap in until that person figures out he is losing money and has to raise his rates, then they will dump that poor sap for the next one. We need to build a loyal customer base that will allow for the ones that we lose through death, move, or just go with some one they can afford. We can't take it personal just go out of your way to keep your good ones and sell yourself to new clients.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I can relate, but you are far better off letting go of those clients and trading up to ones that will take care of you. The cheap ones are like the commercial accounts that get someone cheap in until that person figures out he is losing money and has to raise his rates, then they will dump that poor sap for the next one. We need to build a loyal customer base that will allow for the ones that we lose through death, move, or just go with some one they can afford. We can't take it personal just go out of your way to keep your good ones and sell yourself to new clients.
Very well put.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Small patio install

Thanks David, I have probably about 10 clean ups left to do and final cuts are getting finished up over the next few days. Definitly post some pic of that brick patio. We had flurries here yesturday but nothing significant.[/QUOTE]

Hey Jeff,
I got my clean-up work done earlier this week and yesterday started the patio (landing) for my customer and finished it today. Here is a picture. I don't do much in the way of landscaping, but I feel it came out pretty good. I will put all the photo's in my album.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2010, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wheard did you get the count down time? thats awsome.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

David, that looks really good. What is ironic is I actually just picked a stihl paver saw tonight. That patio looks really good.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

That patio does look real nice.good job,thats kool u picked up a saw u got all the other stuff like mallets,levels,string line,trowels etc..yeah in a few years i will get into hardscaping and landscaping after highschool.im takin a class next year and senior year.so it should be great.that way i start gettin into landscaping.next semester i have small engines so thats another good class i have some people i know who are in it and they love it.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 12-15-2010, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some pics I found on my computer from the spring. Quick little install I did to make the area a little more presentable.
Attached Images