Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2009, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanau View Post
I'll never own one. I refuse to own a machine whose name I can't pronounce.
With a forum name like "Hanau" ?????
Old 11-27-2009, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lets face it, Japanese manufacturing is light years ahead of us, that's one of the reason I am defecting to Takeuchi (TAKA-HOOCHI, there you go Hanau).

A bit of history:
When the Berlin wall came down in 1989, Takeuchi excavators were part of the initial wall destruction, once that curtain came down, Takeuchi got a huge jump on sales, people wanted to know what they were about.
My first glimpse of a Takeuchi TL26 was at the Stoke's Pit Construction show in 1997, my Dad and I were watching a little blue and white skid steer with rubber tracks and a Case style loader loading a grinder with a root grapple.
We both stood there dumb founded, not sure what to think, so after a while, we returned to look at it, and we were speechless. The rest is history.

Takeuchi is a no bullsh*t name, no fancy crap in the cabs, everything is there, and it's meant to be there, they build strong, handsome like tractor, strong like Ox.
In the early days, Mr. Takeuchi set up living quarters in the main factory so he and his family could live there, if there was a problem, the whole plant was shut down until the problem was resolved.

I started to wonder why my dealer didn't have any used loaders there, they never see them back, only for servicing or the odd trade off.
A local builder here has a TL130, 4 years old, thousands of hours, no problems, and that little machine beat out a Bobcat T300.

One warning I got, do not use outside track companies, even the McClaren tracks don't last as long on these Takeuchi loaders, I have to stick with OEM Bridgestone tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 11-27-2009, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ron I do feel that Americans manufacture the best products in the world if they so choose to.
One Mantra of Japanese manufacturing has always been to build one thing well one way.
Just like in the early days of Honda cars. You got it the way they built it , Like it or leave it. Really no different than Mr Fords philosophy in the beginning .
Fast forward a few years and look at Toyota. They have diversified and are now trying to beat the big 3 at there own game and it is wreaking havoc on there company.

These machines are CTL's. They are not 50 ton machines that need to run round the clock and be super efficient to make money. They are designed to fill the gap between a shovel and big equipment.
K.I.S.S
Case is really the only other CTL manufacturer that comes close to Tak with there machines where simplicity and performance seem to be the primary design criteria for there machines rather than amics, suspended tracks , keyless starting and many other dog and pony tricks.

When times are good we ride around in Cadillacs. When times are bad we get back in the trusty old F150 and go to work.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Ron I do feel that Americans manufacture the best products in the world if they so choose to.
I agree with that also. Tak definitely seems more focused on productivity not so much for the 'Lazy Boy' factor. I look forward to trying out a Tak excavator. That swing boom really looks innovative.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They seem like well built machines, and I like the roll-up door, but until they get better dealer support, most guys won't consider one. They are rare around here. I live in a large market, and the closest dealer is an hour away. Everybody else is 20 minutes away or less.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerman21 View Post
They seem like well built machines, and I like the roll-up door, but until they get better dealer support, most guys won't consider one. They are rare around here. I live in a large market, and the closest dealer is an hour away. Everybody else is 20 minutes away or less.

My dealer is 1 and 1/2 hours away maybe more with traffic.

I just do not understand this need for people to have quick access to your dealer? Do people go by there dealer often and if so why?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Hyundayi still builds a peice of crap car as they always have but they are cheap. I turned wrenches for most of my life and Hyundai has always been a disposable car. Really not a fair comparrison to Tak and Kubota.
I think we've been though this before, but I really do feel that Hyundai has improved drastically in the last five, even seven, years. Their newer stuff is quite solid.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W View Post
I think we've been though this before, but I really do feel that Hyundai has improved drastically in the last five, even seven, years. Their newer stuff is quite solid.
Only time will tell.

Here where I live drivers average 25k + miles a year.
Heck my wifes 6 year old Expedition is over 200k.
So Keep that in mind when I express my opinions on hyunda's.
Most places people just do not drive that much so for a car to last here that means it will need to go 150k miles with zero repairs to be considered a good car.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
My dealer is 1 and 1/2 hours away maybe more with traffic.

I just do not understand this need for people to have quick access to your dealer? Do people go by there dealer often and if so why?
Parts, service, repairs... overall convienance. Every machine has breakdowns over time, and they all require maintenance. I drive a road tractor and low boy trailer to pull my equipment. If I have to take it in for something, I don't want to have to go that far. If I lived in the boonies and every dealer was that far away it would be one thing. But like I said, everybody else is close, some even have 2 dealers in the area, more than that if they have an ag dealer as well.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerman21 View Post
Parts, service, repairs... overall convienance. Every machine has breakdowns over time, and they all require maintenance. I drive a road tractor and low boy trailer to pull my equipment. If I have to take it in for something, I don't want to have to go that far. If I lived in the boonies and every dealer was that far away it would be one thing. But like I said, everybody else is close, some even have 2 dealers in the area, more than that if they have an ag dealer as well.

That makes sense.
I really do not live in the boonies just all the dealers seem to be on the Northside of Atlanta and I live on the southside.
I get all my parts UPS'd.My dealer has a pickup and delivry service( for a charge) and they will drop a rental off if needed when picking up my machine.
I guess I only have done it this way and never had the luxury of having a dealer close.