Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

25 Acre clearing job. (Dirtman,TSS,ARP) lil help?

not your average clearing job. this property was flooded during Hurricane Isaac (Aug 2012). property is approx 25acres, has two ponds(outlined in blue) and house pad on it.
Owner wants to clean off the property( covered in a thick matt of marsh grass and debris). he wants to make the property presentable again, since its forsale.
debris consist of anything that could have washed in with the flood waters(i counted 9 utility poles). lots of fence poles, tons of drift wood. the marsh grass is anywheres from a few inches deep to 30+ inches.

I have to find out if the parish is still picking up the debris or if we will have to truck it out. WE CAN NOT BURN, due to the EPA saying the marsh grass could be contaminated with oil/fuel that was in the flood waters. original plan was to run a dozer, but owner does not want it taken down to bare dirt.

so here is my plan of attack. divide the property into sections and clear one section at a time. T300 w/ Root grapple to sort through the debris and push the marsh grass into large piles, use my dump trailer to truck the grass to the road side (if the parish will pick it up), or truck the grass to the dump(6miles away). once grass is hauled off, bushhog the whole property.

any advice??????? ill post some more pics, they are on my phone.
Attached Images

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is that south of Belle Chasse towards Empire?
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn View Post
Is that south of Belle Chasse towards Empire?
Yes Sir. Good eye.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the town will haul, thats obviously the way to go. Otherwise charge by the load. Thats too big to eat a mistake on. Possibly hire a 10 wheeler on by the day. Spend one day pushing up piles. Then the next day alternating loading the truck and trailer while someone drives it for you. Rinse and repeat. Profit. Looks like a cool job
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if u gotta pick all the trash up first id get a hold of your police friends and get you some "help"
Old 02-22-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd see if you could find a grapple like this.. the other type grapples made by bobcat/cat are hard to rake with because youve gotta stand them up on end..
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!

Last edited by Junior M; 02-22-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I did a job like this after the 1000 year flood in 2002 which wiped out part of my town. It was only a 10 acre clean up but it was a mess.
First I rented a 30 yard container and started getting trash picked up. Second, for areas that were accessible, I picked up and separated the large flood debris wood (cypress, oak, cedar) that was too big to hit with the mulcher.
I then mulched everything up to about 6-7 inches and then mowed the entire site, had the container hauled off with the trash and some bigger wood, and the properties owner had someone who wanted the cypress.

The property turned out good and 11 years later it still looks relatively "clean" though they never kept up with mowing the weeds.
I have no experience with "marsh" grass but wonder if it could be mulched or bushhogged even if it's piled up so you aren't hauling mounds of mush. If you can get a mulcher and hit that marsh grass, it will work like a weed block when spread out and chewed up if it's like any other thick grass. Kind of reminds me of haygrazer which looks similar.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I did a job like this after the 1000 year flood in 2002 which wiped out part of my town. It was only a 10 acre clean up but it was a mess.
First I rented a 30 yard container and started getting trash picked up. Second, for areas that were accessible, I picked up and separated the large flood debris wood (cypress, oak, cedar) that was too big to hit with the mulcher.
I then mulched everything up to about 6-7 inches and then mowed the entire site, had the container hauled off with the trash and some bigger wood, and the properties owner had someone who wanted the cypress.

The property turned out good and 11 years later it still looks relatively "clean" though they never kept up with mowing the weeds.
I have no experience with "marsh" grass but wonder if it could be mulched or bushhogged even if it's piled up so you aren't hauling mounds of mush. If you can get a mulcher and hit that marsh grass, it will work like a weed block when spread out and chewed up if it's like any other thick grass. Kind of reminds me of haygrazer which looks similar.
this was my thought also, go through picking up the larger debris, (utility poles, larger fence post, 2x4s, any metal). the place im getting the t300 from, has a timberwolf mulcher head to go with it.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Too bad there aren't any saplings or little trees.... Then you could rent the Forestry Head for the T300....Holy Smokes have you ever ran this thing?! It rips horror, big time! Might as well introduce myself..... I have been following your posts and I am a big fan and think you do great work.... Wanted to say Thanks for your service as well...