Register free!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

what do you do to control the water flow after it exits the pump??
Old 12-29-2009, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
what do you do to control the water flow after it exits the pump??
I use an aquascape biofalls, that is hooked up to the supplied 2'' pool line. Most of my pool waterfall installs have their own separate pump, but this one ran off the entire pool system pump (kinda weak). There's a company called pondbuilder that makes a really nice spillway that i might start using next yr. Their design is more compact than aquascapes and comes in 4 sizes.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

beautiful work twitchy

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 01-05-2010, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
I use an aquascape biofalls, that is hooked up to the supplied 2'' pool line. Most of my pool waterfall installs have their own separate pump, but this one ran off the entire pool system pump (kinda weak). There's a company called pondbuilder that makes a really nice spillway that i might start using next yr. Their design is more compact than aquascapes and comes in 4 sizes.
What type of pump do you use for the seperate pump? Do you like using the biofalls for the spillways over pouring a concrete bowl? I also started using Pond builder products but I still like ADI's horizontal filter mats design but hate the rest of the skimmer design/attaching points.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
beautiful work twitchy
Thanks Sean.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
What type of pump do you use for the seperate pump? Do you like using the biofalls for the spillways over pouring a concrete bowl? I also started using Pond builder products but I still like ADI's horizontal filter mats design but hate the rest of the skimmer design/attaching points.
The separate pump is installed by the pool co, most customers plan on having some type of water feature so the line and the pump are there waiting. Some of the pumps are monsters too, i"ve had to install regulators on some of them to control the pressure. As for the Aquascape biofalls i've used them for the last 4-5yrs w/ out any problems. Concrete bowls, i don't trust it. Even using Aqu Fin waterproofer i don't feel comfortable. Concrete cracks plain and simple. 3yrs ago i installed a lg planting for a customer that had a $200,000 gunite pool, waterfall and 4000 sqft patio installed. The pool company did the waterfall (piece of $hit) and poured a cement form and bowl, the following yr i visited the property, both the waterfall and bowl showed signs a cracking. People have a love hate relationship w Aquascapes, personally i have no problems. My first pondless install is going on 5yrs with no problems, the same old style pump runs everyday. Bissett Nursery is a local Aquascape dealer and always have everything in stock. Probably the main reason i use the Aquascape products is the service and availability. I was thinking of using the Pond Builder spill way because of its compact design and cheaper price. The four sizes is nice too.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm on the fence about Aquascape. I don't use any biofalls anymore. I like making my own and I think they look more natural. I prefer thier skimmers since they are the only company that I know of that has horizontal filter mats. Vertical mats always turn into a dam since most customer won't clean them. Hopefully they fix the thread inserts in the signature skimmers since they always get cross threaded. The ADI pumps just plain suck. I've had them last 5 years and as short as 6 months. Honestly submersible pumps have a rough life being in all kinds of junk 24/7.

I look at it like this if the customer has the coin for a "Caddilac" water feature I use ADI, if not I use PB or other pieces.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The ADI pumps just plain suck. I've had them last 5 years and as short as 6 months. Honestly submersible pumps have a rough life being in all kinds of junk 24/7.
Do you use submersible pumps and if so what have you found to be more reliable than the ADI?

Happy Mowing from StL
-Scott Marquart

www.westcountylandscaping.com
Old 01-14-2010, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnMaster5000 View Post
Do you use submersible pumps and if so what have you found to be more reliable than the ADI?
That's all I use is submersible pumps for Ponds and Waterfalls. On waterfalls going into a pool than that can be an external pump usually provided by the pool company.

I started using Anjon "Big Frog" pumps about a year and a half ago and they seem to be doing well so far. I really can't say if they will last or not since they are so new. They are located out in O'fallon if you want to try them out. They are reasonable price wise and seem to flow close to the advertised specs. I wish I knew what was up with adi pumps because some last 5 years and some only last 6 months.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
That's all I use is submersible pumps for Ponds and Waterfalls. On waterfalls going into a pool than that can be an external pump usually provided by the pool company.

I started using Anjon "Big Frog" pumps about a year and a half ago and they seem to be doing well so far. I really can't say if they will last or not since they are so new. They are located out in O'fallon if you want to try them out. They are reasonable price wise and seem to flow close to the advertised specs. I wish I knew what was up with adi pumps because some last 5 years and some only last 6 months.
I have used the Big Frog pumps as well, they are a nice product. I have also used "monsoon" pumps, little cheaper and can't stand as much head as a Big Frog, but they still work well and are a bit cheaper.