Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2009, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the nqr runs the 19.5 I will disagree rear drums work safer and better than disk with heavy loads we are changing rear disk constantly wher as the rear drum trucks last 10 times longer and have a much firmer pedal. anyways thanks for your input

Details make money!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Where the LCF Ford shines is it runs 19.5 tires it has the same rear axle used in the F-450/550 trucks the Dana S110 is a good axle. It has 4 wheel disk brakes the others use drum brakes.
If I remember correctly, the Ford LCF doesn't have engine braking, and the Isuzu does. This should increase brake longevity and perhaps even give the Isuzu more stopping power.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What is the overall opinion on the LCF? I haven't heard anything positive about them. One guy I spoke with said that they were a rip off of the old Isuzu body style and that they were a total flop for Ford. He said that people are trying everything they can to get rid of them. I see adds for them with low miles and they are really cheap. I think they are really nice looking trucks and can't figure out what the problem is with them. They have really high GVW's and that's what impresses me-more than the Isuzu. I do wonder about the powerstroke and wonder if that would be the breaking deal?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LCF will serve you well. It has a smaller 4.0L V6. However, For the $500 a year or so extra in fuel I'd get the Dodge 5500 with the 6.7L Cummins. If you don't plan to haul anything toward the max paylaod range, you can opt for the automatic, or better yet, get the standard and the taller axle ratio for low rpm highway cruising, which should net around 13-15mpg.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Member

The 5500 Dodges are junk the tow truck guys are not really impressed with them. Far cry on getting good mileage at best 10mpg. As usual Dodge put springs in a truck that are too light. Right off the bat you have to beef up the rear springs.

You want a proven chassis get a F-550 they have been made since 99. Dodge hasn't built a good cab and chassis ever maybe some people have luck with them.

When I looked at a Dodge 5500 Chassis I wasn't impressed the first thing I looked at the rear springs the cheap spring hangers.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
The 5500 Dodges are junk the tow truck guys are not really impressed with them. Far cry on getting good mileage at best 10mpg. As usual Dodge put springs in a truck that are too light. Right off the bat you have to beef up the rear springs.

You want a proven chassis get a F-550 they have been made since 99. Dodge hasn't built a good cab and chassis ever maybe some people have luck with them.

When I looked at a Dodge 5500 Chassis I wasn't impressed the first thing I looked at the rear springs the cheap spring hangers.
I'm really surprised at a Dodge 5500 not being a good truck. I love the looks of them and am a big Dodge fan. I drove an F550 a couple of days ago with the V-10 and thought,"This is a good truck but not a great truck." It didn't have the romp I was expecting from such a large engine. Any diesel I've driven would have buried it with torque and speed. The Fords just don't seem as comfortable. Maybe because I've driven my Dodge for 7 years, but when I get back in my truck, I like it better. The Dodge seems a lot more plush, even with the more basic package.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Gravel Rat who do you get your information from? Here in the midwest every tow company around is switching to dodge tow trucks. Sure the Ford chassis has been made since '99 but how about the rest of it. I guess 99-03 were the good years with the 7.3l. How about the 6.0? I think i will let you answer that. How about the 6.4l? 2 or 3 year production run? Whats proven about that............We are currently running 2 new Dodge 3500 cab chassis, and are 100% satisfied.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The repo companies around here seem to really like those dodges. It could just be because it is something new compared to ford been having f450/550
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2009, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ford and dodge around here but more and more are going Isuzu. By the way Dodge sucks and so does Ford.

Details make money!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Anybody that has bought the Sterling version of the 5500 they are not impressed. When I looked at a 5500 and I said I looked at the rear springs I knew right away that sure enough not strong enough.

The first F-550 I used I put 10,000lbs on the back of it you couldn't tell it had a load. The same truck has been well used and is used every day.

You want a proven 2 ton truck buy a F-550 even used ones with blown transmissions sell for 7 grand and has 300,000kms on it.

As for the V-10 not having power a F-550 doesn't move quick when you have 4:88 axle gears. Put a load on the truck and it travels the same speed.

Tags
fuel consumption , fuel efficiency , mpg , new trucks