Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2009, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Not my cup of tea... I've seen them and I just don't like them. Same reason I would never go with a hook-lift. I've always had a conventional cable roll-off and its what I know and what I like. Some old dogs don't want to learn new tricks, I'm one of them I guess.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the trailers are cables. it would be a low entry cost to get you into the biz and then you could step up to a dedicated truck if things took off and sell the trailer or you could keep it to deliver the empties and use the truck to remove the loaded tubs. it would be alot easier to sell a trailer then a truck.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Start looking for repoed trucks or trucks that have been taken back because of original owner couldn't pay.

I wouldn't go new either not with a market of used trucks that are selling fairly cheap.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

There was a guy in Northern California (Craigslist) that had a trailer for sale, he wanted $12,000 for it. There are a few guys that make them new, they want about $15,000- $20,000 for them. I haven't seen any for real cheap yet. I suppose if I could get a really good deal on one I would consider it, it would get my foot in the door. The other problem is the rails look really really wide. I need something that will pick up used "standard" containers. Unless I want to buy new container.. ( I don't)
I got a Ritchie Brothers auctions coming up.. It's a week before x-mas so I'm hopping everyone is out shopping for toys rather then hitting the truck auction. They got some a few s/a roll-off trucks there.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Spinelli View Post
Not my cup of tea... I've seen them and I just don't like them. Same reason I would never go with a hook-lift. I've always had a conventional cable roll-off and its what I know and what I like. Some old dogs don't want to learn new tricks, I'm one of them I guess.
Why would you never get a hooklift? You never have to get out the truck when dropping a container. Overseas they use hooks over cable. Especially if you are doing small boxes.

What made you want to go with lcf/cf600?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

The only problem with a conventional rail system on a truck like the LCF is you either need a dead lift system like the Switch and Go or extendable/retractable rail tails or rail tails that have a bend to allow you to get enough dump angle.

The only thing I don't like about the switch and go is the way the box has to be designed for that system. The snipe on the front bottom corner of the box makes you loose some space.

As I have said used to run a conventional rail system on a tandem axle it works good for the 40 yard bins.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

International CF500 Conventional Roll-Off

I Found it.... What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2009, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good. Is that only 17,500 gvw? Is that at an auction?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually this was on video posted on youtube called "Rare garbage trucks." The guy who posted the video said its used by the city of Gilbert, Arizona. I don't know what the gvw is. If I was going to buy a brand new truck, this is exact setup I would go with. Like I said thought, I don't think buying a brand new truck for a start-up business is a smart thing to do. I'm going over to the Ritchie bros auction next week and see if I can grab a used roll-off truck for under $10,000.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for an 06 NQR or W550 150 or 176 wb

Details make money!

Tags
fuel consumption , fuel efficiency , mpg , new trucks