Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2009, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Gemma View Post
So I am building my own super lawn truck basically. Behind the cab we have a 4 long 6.5 high 7.5 wide aluminum dump bed. Then behind that I have a 12 long 8 wide 6.5 high dry van body. Inside we are going to put 2 walkers, turf tiger 36 hydro 2 snapper 21's 4 trimmers, 3 back pack blowers. so will the NQR / w5500 work?
Yea, that's what kills me about the SLT-they act like it's some new innovation. He#@, I thought of that truck years before Billy Bass ever did-I just didn't have the connections or money to put it into play.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to buy used so what year is better than others? Does having and engine brake really help. Is the 4sp tranny good enough or should I get a newer 6sp. Trying to narrow down a used truck to pick up. thanks guys sorry take thread over but this is where all the cab over talk is happening.

Details make money!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spinelli,
Have you thought about a larger truck, like International 4300 or Freightliner FL70? There's a guy with a really nice company called Earth, Truf, and Wood (screen name is etwman) and they run 3 Freightliners. If I remember correctly, he said the Freightliners had operating costs comparable to a 550/5500 or NPR type truck. The bigger engines don't have to work as hard and other components of the truck last longer, like tires and brakes. You can get a van body truck pretty cheap, sell the body or keep it for storage, and put your lift on the back. Check out www.truckpaper.com

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 12-12-2009, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Found this little truck while looking around on truckpaper this afternoon.
F800 with 16ft debris box and Switch-n-Go system, $14,900 in San Jose, CA
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=1861977

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 12-12-2009, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

RB Auction

This truck is going to be at Auction in a few days, I think this (or the Ford F650) will be the one.... What do you guys think of this truck? Thanks for all the insight guys. i have thought about going a lot of different ways.. I really think I need to get my feet wet before I dive in head first.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2009, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know what E195 stands for is that the 466E rated at 195hp ?

The International is better than the F-650 atleast there is more parts out there for a International.

I'am still thinking you should stick with a smaller shorter wheelbase truck. A truck like that International is no different than a tandem axle rolloff it is a b*tch to get into anywhere. If your planning on doing residential clean up work and want to get bins close to the house it will be tough to do so with a truck like that.

Most small jobs you want to drop the bin at the front door so the homeowner doesn't have to pack material a long distance.

I can't figure out why they would use a single axle truck with 22 foot rails you put a 30-40 yard bin no way the truck would carry it.

If I was going with a truck with a 22-24 foot rails it would be a tandem.

I do have a idea what kind of customer base your after and your bin length will be no more than 14 feet long.

There is a reason why those trucks are in the auction there is a very limited use for them.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Yesterday it said it was a DTA466, they changed it when they posted the pictures. I don't know why it was set up with a 22 foot hoist either, unless this was the delivery truck that was used to deliver empty containers. It's a 93 which I'm not that fond off but the hoist was put on in 2006. I spoke to the guys at amrep a while back and they don't work cheap, I'd say that hoist was at least $17,000 or $18,000 when it was put on 3 years ago. I will not have a choice about box length because I plan on buying used boxes but I would like to keep them around 12 feet long. The typical 10 yard box they run in California is a low-boy and is good for dirt & concrete but not for rubbish. Unless they change the laws this truck would have to be off the road by January 2014 according to C.A.R.B standards. That would give me just about 4 years to decided if business was worthy of buying a brand new truck. What's your take on how much this truck is going to go for, lets see if we think alike...
Old 12-12-2009, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

The economy in California is a little different but I would guess that truck may go for no less than 15 grand. That truck would be a tough sell in B.C. because single axle rolloffs like that don't have the demand.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I Think it will go for between $10,000-$15,000 it's worth it because of the hoist. The truck itself is a 1993 and not worth that much but the hoist is. I got this one to look at and that ford that needs an engine. It's raining like crazy in Southern California today, I'm debating going over there to look at it today.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I want it, I want it, I want it!
Attached Images

Tags
fuel consumption , fuel efficiency , mpg , new trucks