Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2002, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Yellow Pages

Stickdad mentioned the Yellow Pages. For those of you that run Yellow Pages ads, what have been your results? How much do your ads cost?
Old 05-18-2002, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yellow pages will not work for me. I like my work close to home.

The yellow pages in Central Florida will cover a radius of 50 plus miles. To add to that, there are to many shoppers and three times more LCO'S. I will pass on it.
Old 05-18-2002, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

a related question...my cell phone is my business phone. I also have no interest in being in the yellow pages.(too many price shoppers) But Verizon will not let me list in their white pages since I'm not using Verizon services. I want my number listed just in case someone sees my truck and forgets the phone number. Will the Yellow Book list my number?? For those of you who use your cell as your biz phone how do you 'get listed? thanks
Old 05-18-2002, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't see how you could be listed if you didn't have phone service with them. I have to pay for a seperate business line to be in the yellow pages, once you do that it automatically puts you in the white pages.

As for results: I've said many times the best thing I've done is advertise in the yellow pages. It works. If you have to screen callers then do it. My ad is $14.00 a month + the additional cost of the business line. One BOLD LINE WITH A NAME AND NUMBER is all I have and I get calls daily. What will eventually happen is the ad will start to work for your friends in the business as well. When you get all you can handle I start referring them to one of them. Maybe I should charge him for the referrals

You could go through the hassle of putting out 10,000 flyers and you would still have to go through the process of price shoppers and screening calls. Sure is easier to let them find you.
Old 05-18-2002, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

our ad is somewhat expensive... but the good news is we have tracked revenue off of this investment and as of right now it is running 80 times that of the investment. like homer said you have to screen the calls, (or you will be chasing dead end leads all day) and you will get a new rash of telemarketers calling you. will it work this well for everyone? maybe not. we reasearched this idea for 2 years before decideing to place a ad... look very closely at how your market is structured and see how well it will work for you...
Old 05-18-2002, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Yellow pages and direct (targeted) Mail work well for me. We also run a small ad in a local news paper in April only. Its the news paper that gets the price shoppers. Starting out to be a great season if I could only hire more guys. Yellow page bill $200 mo. Direct mail pushes 50 cents per household, but we dont send them to trailer parks.
plant on guys
Old 05-21-2002, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For 2001/2002 ending in June we had 3 calls a month from yellow. The cost was $80.00 per month for the ad. The revenue generated was double the annual ad cost. Not the best way to go IMHO. We pulled the ad this year. Word of mouth and fliers in that order!
Old 05-22-2002, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seem to be working for me!

Our local yellow pages just came out this month (first of May). I am in the local book for my city and 2 adjacent cities where I want to work. Total cost is $46 per month for a three line column add.

I have been averaging 3 to 4 calls per week the last couple of weeks and gotten 5 new jobs. Downside is they are not ideal in terms of locations, but not too bad.

It definitely seems to be paying off, not all just price shoppers.

I would definitely do it again.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

550 per month for 3 yellow pages in our area........this year it has quadrupled it's cost in business.

These people will continue to buy from us also.....great potential....worst thing about yellowpages is that you aren't the only one they call and sometimes they are just kicking tires.

Also, if you cannot get to them right away, they may go right to the next guy in line....but so far we are very happy

I will evaluate and at the end of the year decide whether or not to pull the ad.
Old 05-22-2002, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One line with the #

Thats all we have. Our name in bold print with the phone #. It's included as a part of our business phone. Does not cost us very much. They pushed for us to put in a small block ad. Too expensive IMO. That attracts all the tire kickers here. I get maybe one call per month.
All of our new business comes from referrals. Kinda' keeps everything in our local area. We've been fortunate with around a 10% boost every year with little or no drop-off.
(knock on wood)