Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2002, 05:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm gonna give the Yellows a try. My ad may not start until next season, but that's how it is with the directories. I'm hearing of ratios like 4 to 1 (revs to ad cost) and 80 to 1. 80 to 1 is hard to believe though. I'd be thrilled with even 3 to 1.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you plan on doing commercial. You better plan on the Yellow.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smartgene
I'm gonna give the Yellows a try. My ad may not start until next season, but that's how it is with the directories. I'm hearing of ratios like 4 to 1 (revs to ad cost) and 80 to 1. 80 to 1 is hard to believe though. I'd be thrilled with even 3 to 1.
this is interesting.... alot of you are saying you are paying 50.00 to 60.00 a month for the ad, but are only taking in 150.00 to 180.00 a month in gross revenue off the ad.. the numbers i quoted are from "gross" sales that are directly linked to the add themself. when little mrs. smith called and says "i need you to mow my yard this summer how much? and i say 40.00 a week and she says ok. that becomes 160.00 a month gross sales.... now i wont go into my numbers exactly but i will say we do alot of fert apps, a fair amount of landscape installations, and alot of sod installations.... most of which people are getting our number out of "the book". as far as the 80 to 1 ratio is concerned that is a number we will "improve on" for next year because we are going to hire a professional ad agency to re- design our ad. gene i know of companys that have ratios higher than 10,000 to 1 ....... example; i sure would like a pizza, wife says, get the phone book and look up "dominos" number...... makes you wonder huh? i wonder if chemlawn would be number 1 if the didnt advertise there number in the book... i doubt it.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

strickdad writes:

"gene i know of companys that have ratios higher than 10,000 to 1 ....... example; i sure would like a pizza, wife says, get the phone book and look up "dominos" number...... "

Be careful. I've seen statistics that show that the yellow page's number one use is looking up pizza joints. A well designed ad may generate more business, but I don't think a landscape/lawn care biz should expect to approach the success of a pizza ad in the yelow pages. Just my humble opion.

jim
Old 05-24-2002, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

jim you are correct... i would never think i could come close to matching the ratio of a pizza joint... im simply stateing that a 80 to 1 ratio is not all that far "fetched" i mean think about guys if you got a 50.00 dollar ad thats 600.00 a year.. at 80 to 1 thats only 48,000 a year....
Old 05-24-2002, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't comment on an appropriate revenue:cost ratio. I've only started biz this year and I will not be in a published yellow pages until next Oct. But from your point: $1600.00 per year per average lawn care customer = 30 customers from yellow pages = $48,000.00. It seems a bit high. Not impossible, just a bit high.

A landscaper who averages $16,000.00 per job times 3 jobs from yellow pages ad I would believe possible.

Expect an average $100.00 aeration job * 480 jobs from yellow pages ad and you must be smoking something.

My point is that landscaping/lawn care calls from yellow pages do occur. Ability to hit 80:1 ratio highly dependant upon cost of service you expect to sell through yellow pages, size of market you can reach with yellow pages, number of established competitors in your market, etc. It's not an easy thing to predict as a general rule for all areas and services.

jim
Old 05-24-2002, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

jim, i never said that i was averageing 1600.00 per yr per customer.. it was strictly an example... we have a client that owns 7 shopping centers here in the area we won this bid back in january, they got our name out of the "book".. as i said i will not get into actual revenue here , but every dime we makefrom them is because they were looking through the book for companys to bid on there account, we would not have this account if it had not been for our ad....
Old 05-25-2002, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We are back to what I was saying.

If you plan on doing commercial. You better on plan putting a ad in the Yellow.

Strickdad. Let us know if the professional ad agency helped any.

R.T.C

James