Register free!

Old 11-29-2009, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where do I start?!?!?

I want to work on getting my license but I have finished the study book and it doesnt say anything about turf maintenance and fert. I want to offer perimeter pest control and fertilization next season but dont know where to start. I dont know of any books, videos, websites, local dealers. Dont know about different fert, liquid or granular form....
SOO many simple questions that need to be answered before I start working with chemicals on my own property.

Where did you start? How do you learn what chemical is needed and when/how often to apply it???? Where did you learn about the mixture/release numbers? ( 20/10/90). Not sure if thats a real number but you get the idea.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You got a study book have you contacted your state ag dept most states you have to have work experience or a collage course
Read as many post on this site as you can you will learn alot there is more to this than you realize right now go to search option and type in some thing and read lots of info here
Good luck Charles Cue
Old 11-29-2009, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know how much is involved. I just need a beginners guide if that makes sence. What the numbers mean, what is best for the three main types of grass in my area, how to test soil or how to go about doing it if someone else should test it.

Once I have these small starter questions answered, I can begin to research more of how they work, when they are applied, how often, and why.
There isnt a huge demand for this in my area. More of pest control than anything else. The commercials do request this service and I want to be able to offer it for 2010. I would like to be able to offer a free application as a selling tactic on a big postcard mailout I will be doing in Febuary.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You work for someone that does this and learn how.

edit, nvm you have a company, lol. Hire a licensed technician and pay him right to teach you. It's hard to learn from a book, especially with different types of turf. I have tons of book knowldege but what I actually implement into my programs are things I've learned in the field from hands on experience.

Last edited by LawnoftheMonth; 11-29-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you get all fert in liquid form? Seems like it would be easier to transport and spreadm
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2009, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenf View Post
Can you get all fert in liquid form? Seems like it would be easier to transport and spreadm
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes fert comes in liquid form and there are many types for the most part it is more expensive
dry fert comes in many types to and is generally less expensive
15-02-10 n-p-k the percentage of each product in the bag
Charles Cue