Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2009, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Brickman has their own inhouse gov't ICE workers. Imiigrations Customs Enforcement.

I know some guys at a branch here in Plano, and a good buddy of mine is a manager down in Houston. If there are illegals hired, as soon as Brickman finds out, they are let go.

You small companies need to get off of this kick bashing a large successful company. It would be wise to pay attention to these larger companies, you may learn a thing about efficiency and sales, management, etc.

In the commercial industry, its all about price. customers get what they pay for, just like every other industry out there.

I commend all those here who strive to be the best, I think we can all agree we all want to perform the highest of highest quality.

But if you have the oppurtunity to mow a crappy site and make a profit, you would be a fool to turn it down. seriously guys. Brickman here, (and every other large company- us included) do incredibly high end sites, and even some municipality work, and we d some s***hole places.

Its all about making a profit. If it's profitable, and it fits into our model, we do it.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 12-07-2009, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

THAK YOU JWING.... , i feel it falls on deaf ears for the most part though , in 3 weeks of posting i have concluded that most bash and have no polite way of learning they bash it out lol .

most cant grasp being big , and that is why it is easier on us bigger comps....... thanks for the good post . lol i wasnt about to bring up the ICE's to get bashed for it , glad you did lol they would just tell me i was wrong ,because of all the other LS myths they read about lol . Thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow you guys are nuts for Brickman. Anyone ever think maybe the boring color scheme is so people WONT notice them? Like UPS...theyre brown because they dont want to be noticed. Landscapers are there to do a job and leave. I see companies with fire engine red trucks and silver trucks and unless your obsessing over Brickman ;-) ...you forget you saw them 2 seconds after you do.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm partial though, i guess. I work for Brickman and I love it. I came in totally green 5 years ago and now I'm a supervisor. My bosses and coworkers are great, were like family...I have nothing to complain about. I also have nothing to tell and no pictures to post so please dont ask.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am an Account Manager for Brickman. I did not read every post in this thread, but a lot of of what I read is mere opinion. Our trucks are, as mentioned, a plain color scheme, BUT the first thing EVERY customer says when I say "This is John from Brickman!" is "Oh, I see your trucks EVERYWHERE!" If that's not a positive response, then I don't know what is? We are able to service our customers in a professional manner by using the best known practices for EVERY operation involved in doing our job. Whether it is knowing how long it takes to weedeat 100' of bed edges or how long it takes to install 400 flats of pansies. We have the data to know if we are making a profit or not.

I have worked in the industry for 14 years now and there was no happier day than when I was hired by Brickman b/c they are what every company aspires to be. We absolutely maintain some sites that may appear to be less desireable, but we are beaten down on our pricing on a national level for some these accounts. Hotels, for example, are severely struggling, some have told us we need to cut the price in half!!! No one WILL maintain it for that price; However, if you could get a multi-year contract with guaranteed increases every year, would you do it then? Would you spend the extra time to make that particular site look better with that kind of budget? WE DO!!!

In addition to these "less than desirable" sites, We have done the sports turf for the last 3 Summer Olympics (yes, internationally), we maintain the San Diego Padres field, too many colleges and universities to count and multiple national historic gardens and sites. We do everything from the highest profile jobs down to the mow and blow jobs. If you take anything away from this thread, let it be that knowledge is power. If you don't know exactly how long it should take a crew of 3 guys to mow 50,000 sq ft of turf with 300 ft of curbline and the same for every operation on that jobsite. Then you TRULY can not tell me if you are making the most profit you possibly can. You should know how much turf, beds, mulch, pruning time, etc. it takes to do EVERY one of your jobsites. If it is not being performed at the standard times... then you know there is a problem and you can make an adjustment. Otherwise, you're just throwing darts at the wall, hoping one will stick.

I also, will not post any pictures of any of our equipment or answer any questions about specifics within our organization.
"Well, I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know."-Socrates
Old 01-23-2010, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I took some time to read through some more posts on this thread and wanted to point a couple other points. Of course any corporation that have over $500 millions dollars in revenue and over 130 branches nationwide SHOULD have someone in such a high salary position. Does is surprise you his name is Scott Brickman? We are STILL a family owned and operated company! And unlike other high paid Execs. We recently have given very generous donations through the Brickman Foundation over the holidays and now Brickman and The Brickman family have matched every dollar donated within our company. That's awesome! Even the laregest companies only match dollar for dollar. He is putting in his own money. What other Exec. is willing to do that?

One last item, there were quite a few mentions of Immigrant workers. Just b/c someone doesn't speak english does not make them a less desirable? We require valid numbers for all of our workers. As mentioned, once we run their numbers (within days), if they are not valid they are let go. We use our best judgement as what appears to be valid from our experience, but with new technology, fakes are becoming more and more accessible. Almost every employee at Brickman can speak Spanish at some level, but I'd say the majority of us speak fluent Spanish and in turn have a better relationship with our Latin workers. It is part of our culture to work together as a team side by side. This bond makes them want to work harder, not their wage.
"Well, I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know."-Socrates
Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Worked for Brickman for 6 years learned alot of stuff they have 128 locations in 32 states when i left a few years ago. The reasons that i left is they treat there employes like shat,ur only a number and there always changing everything and low ballin everyone and wonder why they r not makin what they want, dont get it twisted when i left they were makin around 50-60 million net profit. Still have buddies that wrk there and there lookin to get out cause they cant stand all the changes every 6 months.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Isnt it weird how two posts right next to eachother about the same company, can be soooo opposite?? Makes you wonder..

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like there is alot of variance in opinions from branch to branch.
Chevy

www.OakwoodLandscapeConcepts.com
Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilmac View Post
Worked for Brickman for 6 years learned alot of stuff they have 128 locations in 32 states when i left a few years ago. The reasons that i left is they treat there employes like shat,ur only a number and there always changing everything and low ballin everyone and wonder why they r not makin what they want, dont get it twisted when i left they were makin around 50-60 million net profit. Still have buddies that wrk there and there lookin to get out cause they cant stand all the changes every 6 months.
It's amazing at the different responses about Brickman. In my experience, most really large companies don't treat their employees that well-they don't have to because they have so many-you are a number. I worked for Asplundh for three days and quit because it was such a joke of a company. Man, they didn't give a sh#@ about their workers. They had had 15 workers come and go in 1 month and I see why. If Brickman is having their employees ride around in junk trucks, that says a lot. I've worked for a company like that and that isn't right-you don't want to work there.