Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-25-2010, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How do you figure those are junk trucks?! I wouldnt mind any of them..

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-25-2010, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The brickman branch around here runs virtually all 05+ F series trucks. Oldest I've ever seen couldn't have been older than a '99.
Chevy

www.OakwoodLandscapeConcepts.com
Old 01-25-2010, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilmac View Post
The reasons that i left is they treat there employes like shat,ur only a number and there always changing everything.
This is my gripe as I have said before...I'm just glad that someone else said it also.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-25-2010, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
How do you figure those are junk trucks?! I wouldnt mind any of them..
Another member on here stated that they run worn out trucks and I was just stating that that doesn't surprise me. Big companies have a lot of overhead and usually try to squeeze every dollar out of their equipment and pay their workers as little as possible to keep growing-that's been my experience. You can't get as big as Brickman by spending a lot of money.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
Another member on here stated that they run worn out trucks and I was just stating that that doesn't surprise me. Big companies have a lot of overhead and usually try to squeeze every dollar out of their equipment and pay their workers as little as possible to keep growing-that's been my experience. You can't get as big as Brickman by spending a lot of money.
I wouldn't call their trucks junk, the guys trash the crap out of them, but they are still good trucks.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-26-2010, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What I have learned form this thread is info is king and the more you have, the more $$ you have. Got to hand it to them they have some major stuff figured out.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Man this thread is loooooooooooooonnnnnngggggggggg!

I don't really have an opinion on Brickman either way. One thing i can tell you is that they did loose their personalized service for customers and the smaller HOA's. This is a good thing as it gives me something to market against. They do some of the mega office parks around here and leave equipment on site as well as a work trailer. I like to bid against the larger operations so I can put it to them like this (yes XXXXXXXX is large, yes they have allot of guys and yes they are the Walmart of the landscape business BUT when there is an issue ever go and stand in line at a Walmart waiting for service?? I have out quoted allot larger companies than me using this line. I offer little things that cost me next to nothing and the bigger guys say "um yeah we got to get back to you on a quote on that" It only takes a few high end customers along with their referrals to get more.

I am working with a tri state sales manager for a major payroll and accounting firm and have asked him about Brickmans strategy and its a simple one ITS ALL ABOUT PRESENCE and the old They are using me why aren't you sales pitch.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Member

wow..long thread!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In every large company you are just a number guy's.......... Southwest airlines for example started pretty small and veryone knew everyone..... now they are big and you are mor or less a number and it is not longer really a family atmosphere.........

Anyone who complain's about just being a number in a BIG company is out of touch with reality.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very well said dave! And if you really don't want to be a number then go get a education that applies to the company and you will become more then a number. You will become a vice president or a branch manager or a operations manager. The guys out doing the work are replaceable commodities. That "number" attitude just rubs me the wrong way, I can't stand when workers get a attitude that the company "needs" them and can't survive without them. Soon after that they start asking what work are we doing today? And decide if they want to do it or not. And then they find out that I have a list of others that are waiting to replace them.
Posted via Mobile Device