Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2009, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpeoples View Post
No smart business means trying to make a profit. If that means using cheaper labor that's what you do. No one is in business just for fun. When I get to the point in life when someone younger can do my job I'll move on to something else. that's why you don't put all your eggs in one basket
Posted via Mobile Device
That's easier said than done for someone who just dedicated his entire life to a job. A majority of people out there don't have the luxury of a lot of choices-my father was one of them with Ga. Power until he passed away at 62 last year. I've lived it through him and it's no picnic. I understand the "Smart Business" but don't agree with that side of things. People get unmarketable at certain ages-after 40 in a lot of situations and and the choices run out. That's a lot of life ahead of you for just getting kicked to the curb.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

When you work for someone else you have no control over their business decisions so you have to always be prepared for the worst possible outcome. Diversity is what I teach my sons. I read in a book somewhere that you take one hand and each of your fingers should be a source of income.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2009, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

and truth is a large business counts each employee as another source of income and when the person slows the option is exactly the same as above ,hope the curb is warm .

we sign a non-compete at hiring before any training and it dies after 10 years .
Old 12-04-2009, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

isn't it easy to get around a non-compete ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2009, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

You probably can work around it, just have to be careful. I really do not want to try to take on Brickman's legal department over it though. It only lasts for 2 years.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden's Own View Post
You probably can work around it, just have to be careful. I really do not want to try to take on Brickman's legal department over it though. It only lasts for 2 years.

That sucks, and I agree you could bleed yourself dry trying to win a battle with their legal department.

Just curious, what is the milage radius on the no-compete??
Old 12-04-2009, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Worked for a garbage company who was sold to waste management and the owner worked around his non-compete
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

some insight into brickman from the web

THE INDEPENDENTS
On the other end of the spectrum lie lawn care businesses untouched by the franchise world. These can vary from small, local independently-owned ventures to larger corporations with locations scattered throughout the country. One of the larger businesses is The Brickman Group. Although you might think it is a franchise, you would be wrong.
Brickman has been in operation for 65 years and is currently based in Gatesburg, Md. Some of the company's most recent projects include a park at Padre Stadium in San Diego, Calif., in which families can have picnics while enjoying a baseball game, as well as the design and maintenance of the baseball field at the 2004 Olympics in Athens, Greece. With 110 branches in 23 different states, this company could be confused with a franchise. However, Margie Holly, communications manager, attributes the expansion to the growth and movement of its clients. “Brickman originated in Chicago and as its clients moved to different parts of the country, the company went as well,” Holly said.
The family-owned landscape business also shifted from a design/build company to a firm specializing in lawn care and maintenance. About 85 percent of Brickman's business is commercial landscape maintenance, and the remainder is dedicated to builds and installations. It also performs snow removal, tree care and sports turf application jobs.
The reason why The Brickman Group has never considered becoming a franchisor is that they believe that quality and service starts with family. Instead of bringing outside people in to run their business, Brickman takes inside people and trains them to head up the new branches.
“Brickman has established a stable duplicateable model that can be put in place, and these branches are supported by regional offices,” Holly said.
If a territory is getting too big for one branch, employees are brought in and trained for a set amount of time, usually two years. Once the branch is ready to split into two branches, they are already prepared and are able to function consistently with the other branches.
Brickman also offers in-house training through a program called Brickman University, similar to training programs offered by franchises. Employees gain consistent education in the core curriculum of horticultural maintenance, as well as in customer service and crew management.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpeoples View Post
No smart business means trying to make a profit. If that means using cheaper labor that's what you do. No one is in business just for fun. When I get to the point in life when someone younger can do my job I'll move on to something else. that's why you don't put all your eggs in one basket
Posted via Mobile Device
OK....Don't take this so personal or an attack on you please, because it is not.

I just don't think I am reading your quote right.

Are you saying, lets see, if you had been working for a company like maybe a construction comp for 30 years and you only have 5 more yrs to retire and you are saying because they hire a new guy about half your age and he can work circles around you cause your body is now old and worn out, that you will just pull the pin and quite and go try to find something else to do?

Now keep it nice, I'm only asking......
Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Basically yes. Using your example, after 30yrs if i cant do the same job as someone younger it would be bad business for my employer not to replace me. People just need to be realistic, your employer owes you nothing , you are an employee. If they can hire two people to do the job for the price they pay you why not.Also i would think after 30yrs you should have a play "b" in place by now ! See that wasn't so bad