Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2009, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

WAM opinion

I am looking for your guys opinion on wide area mowers in partically a mower for behind a 40-50hp tractor. I've been looking at lastec mowers quite a bit lately and seem to think they might be the answer(model 621er, link below). Would like pros and cons on these mowers as well as pull behind gang mowers.

http://www.lastec.com/lastec/rearMount/621ER.aspx
Old 12-01-2009, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much acreage are you mowing???? We can knock out some major acreage with a 60 and 52 in wide open areas. I think the most efficient and cost effective would probably be 2-3 72inch diesel ztrs per crew . If the wide area breaks ... I have heard its expensive to work on and it may be down for a while before you get it fixed. If one ztr breaks u can still have the other going and go rent a ztr if needed while the other is being repaired.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I run two wams. I also run 5 Z, 2 front mounts - so my wams are needed - they are a deadicated machine. Expensive to fix but I buy parts direct and do 90% in house repairs. The time that I save with the wam compared to Z is worth the extra cost - but then again all my machines have a place for the 5-6 day mowing week.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
I run two wams. I also run 5 Z, 2 front mounts - so my wams are needed - they are a deadicated machine. Expensive to fix but I buy parts direct and do 90% in house repairs. The time that I save with the wam compared to Z is worth the extra cost - but then again all my machines have a place for the 5-6 day mowing week.
I think that is the key to your decision.

If you'd get a WAM and use it all day everyday then it makes sense to get a WAM. Because the cost of paying 2 guys to run two other 72" mowers doesn't seem cost effective. However, if you won't be running a WAM but a day or two then it makes sense to get the largest deck size you can use most, 66" or 72" perhaps.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a Kunz 60" trailmower (commercial model with extra gauge wheels) to start this season (towed by a 72" dixie chopper diesel) This rig cuts about a 10.5 foot swath and does a great job.I hang this trailmower out over and down in ditches-it's saved me a ton of weed eating.Also have a 72" diesel ferris that my help rides and together we cover a stupid amount of ground in a day.put 300 hrs. on it this year; it has held up very well.check em out at www.kunzeng.com.I think mine was about $4000.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm looking to use this mower on two school district we currently service which come in right around 125 acres. As well, a third school district shown interest last year in awarding us with another 54 acres if we could take on the work, But I had to turn it down knowing we very well couldn't. So I'm looking to streamline operations in order to take on more work as well as drop a name or two off of the payroll. Wams may seem like a big investment, but compared I'd rather spend the money on a piece of equipment that is always on time in the morning than try to find extra employees that are.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention that I already have a 45hp kubota tractor with turf tires that sits for a good part of the year (main job is snow blowing). So why not put it to work on the properties that seem to take forever with 60" and 72" z's
Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Member

have you looked into the tow behind landprides? i see them in use a lot
Old 12-02-2009, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Toxic, I have used both pull behind rotary and ground powered gang type reel mowers extensively.
I found the rotary unit from Lastec to be the most efficient in terms of overall cost to operate, durability and adaptability to differing site conditions.
Throughout my many years of golf course maintenance prior to my opening a grounds maintenance business my experience with the rotary type units on sites averaging 150 acres has been quite good.
Unit life, ease of maintenance, blade sharpening (the real "kicker" if you will) and transport of the unit without the incessant worry of smacking the reel to bed knife adjustment out of whack all combined with a better clipping dispersion meant for me the rotary was the way to go.
Feedback on the sites, both C3 and C4 turf, were also positive.
To me it makes much more sense to outfit the tractor you already have with a Lastec then acquire a dedicated tractor unit wide area mower.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, so I just happened to be browsing around a local dealers website today, scrolling through the used golf and turf equipment and lo and behold what do I find? A lastec 621er.Same model that I was interested in. So I call them up to get some more info. Found out that they took it on trade from a local golf course, put new belts, bushings, couple of wheels, etc on it and are asking 6900$ cdn. Asked what a new one was worth, Around 17000 cdn. So I think I'll go see it tomorrow and if it fits the bill then she'll be coming home with me. I wish every time I was searching for a new piece of equipment it would be this easy.